Reseeding Canola Options - The Combine Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reseeding Canola Options

Hi guys, I am hoping you guys could help me out with a tough spot I am in with one of my quarters. I farm in the Regina heavy clay.
This is a new quarter I am farming this year, I knew the kochia/weed pressure was going to be high so I applied Edge last fall. This spring I seeded L233P canola treated with lumiderm into decent moisture. I applied 130-55-0-35 for fertilizer. Germination looked good until we ran into frost. Even though the seedlings were under the soil we had a lot of plants nipped off at the stem. I am talking 80% of plants. We decided to give it some time to try to regrow, in the meantime had various agronomists and reps out to have a look. We have heard everything from mice, to frost to cutworms. In the last 3 weeks we hadn't found one single cutworm until finally today I found one. The field has definitely been showing more signs of damage the last few days and with the plants being cut at ground level we have really started leaning on the damage being due to cutworms, at this point we are convinced we need to reseed. There is massive areas in the field with 0 living plants, even with everyone telling us they haven't seen a field get completely taken by cutworms when the canola was treated with lumiderm it appears that is what has happened.

Anyways, onto my question:
Obviously now that we are into June I am antsy to get out there and get this reseeded. I have 1.5 inches of dry topsoil but decent moisture under that, a 10 day forecast with 0 rain, and also the edge herbicide to think about.
I guess my options would be to reseed canola and hope for rain? Or, seed a pulse? I would like to seed small green lentils but I am not sure what they will do with 130 lbs of actual N applied. I was thinking maybe a Pea would be the best? I could seed them deep and they would likely be the quickest maturing, just not sure how that much N will effect them either.
Other options would be Barley, I don't think I can seed them into Edge ground. Flax, I hate flax! I also dont think we could seed them deep enough.

Any thoughts or experiences? Thank you guys in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
One the the best canola crops I’ve had I could walk through it easily at early flower without touching any plants

w-mFarms likes this.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to leave it... We are leaving the rest of our canola that averages about 2 plants per square foot from frost. This field I would guess averages more like .1 plants per square foot! We just drove and walked it again today, there is areas 100 ft by 100 ft with not a single plant....
keldifornia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Peas would be good. Just as long as there isn’t much root rot. Should grow good with all that fert
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Could go in with Dekalb 7545. That stuff is easily a week ahead of anything else we grow.
Sure can’t sit it in dry dirt now though, ideally at this stage in the game your setting it 1/4-1/2” deep and it’s up in 4 days.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Any weeds now ? Maybe spray liberty, seed peas and let it be a intercrop.

Brent.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have other 233 canola fields that are still in good condition then I would not seed it back to generic canola. I would seed it to specialty cargill/nexera canola and hope for the best. This way you transfer all your late crop risk to crop insurance as IP canola is a different crop. If your generic canola yields above your crop insurance minimum yield then any potential loss of your late canola won’t be your problem.
sasksodbuster and shmiffy like this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:34 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Not sure I like the hemp market this yr, but you would have all month to seed it ahead of a rain(if there is one) and still have decent yield prospects - Ie leave the canola to see how scabby it really is, but if there an imminent rain have your hemp seed ready and spray out what canola there is. Guess if you can spray out canola maybe even yellow mustard an option. Doing nothing is option that always got you a point in school test and may still be worth something - depending on your insurance of course.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Ive got the same problem except its emergence from too dry. No rain in 3 months. Not enough moisture to sustain the seedlings so I now have a couple plants per square yard and ansy to seed something into it next week now that the forecast is kaput. Just like you the top layer is dry but subsoil below is decent. Something into that zone could make it. Wouldn't try canola again, going to be too late.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Put in feed barley, read somewhere that there 13 million acres of corn not going to be seeded in the US. Feed grains should be good...if we can grow it

Week Men Create Hard Times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page