swathing canola - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
My area is very hilly, neighbors swath all of there canola, they use a shatter resistant varieties, but there is no way to SC here, just too uneven in maturity, also it takes way to long in this area to go to full color change, it is just to risky to beat the snow. last year they left about 400 acres in the snow in swaths. Besides snowmobilers elk, and deer, they harvested in spring, and were completely surprised at how well the swaths held up in spring. The shatter resistant is definitely a life raft when it gets bad.

The boy wants to wait as long as possible, but the old man has 50+ harvests under his belt, and reminds him, you're risking your entire crop getting into the bin for and extra few % of color change.
I never grown any herbicide resistant canola, but my neighbor has continually done so 5 years in a row. rotating between liberty and RR. I know, a lot are freaking out, but the land here is marginal at best, and it is getting so costly, that soon canola is not going to pay the bills, they cut there canola when it starts to turn. they have done it real green and some places, very ripe. They never have seen much of a difference when it is in the bin.
Your area is really what is going to determine if you can play the waiting game, and add a few more days to harvest. I grown open pollinated lots and there is just no way to wait too long, i cut in valleys, that seem so green, and the hills are way to ripe. A lot of times i am putting my equipment away with snowflakes in the air.

Some on here are in good locations to extend there harvest dates, What works for them does not work for me. Swathing was desired back in the day to speed up the curing process to harvest sooner with more even product. This straight cutting is going backwards for this area, even desiccating is a longer delay.
Guys tried SC with the longer wait, and the added load for green stems though the combine more fuel usage and slower progress (not everybody has the latest combine) it was not worth the risk. Nobody here unloads on the go, that shows you how short and hilly the fields are, no straight sections at all, they put trucks all over the place and unload at the closest one, they use grain carts but still stop in a corner to unload into it.
20 miles east or west, completely different harvest program, Lol.
Swathing makes the most sense here and about 1/3 color change for me shows the plant is done filling and growing, and wants to be euthanized, Lol, and i asist by sickle.
But the shatter resistance is a good insurance, even in swaths for wind, and light hail.

Also i find the newer combine pick ups run so fast, i alway wondered about losses from the pickup smashing through the swaths. i run mine so slow, all it does is lift the crop up and the combine slides underneath so to speak.

This is my world, not necessarily applies to you, but sharing some perspective.

Border Farmer, radar and Snapper22 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am about three weeks from harvest my problem is like the opposite its going to get hot and dry humidity in the teens. It will go from a little green to open pods quick I think. I will let you know how the crop does. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page