NH3 Toxicity - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 AM
DDF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Have you ever considered applying N-Serve with a Raven Side-Kick?
I have looked at it and so far I can't justify the added cost on our operation yet. But I wonder if it would help prevent the burn your seeing? The main benefit of the N-Serve they claim, is that you can safely start applying NH3 earlier in the fall.
Some agro's are adding it in the tank for guys, so they don't need to worry about the Side-Kick. However, I am not comfortable with that stuff going through the cooler and flow controller.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM
DDF

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Is that a pink seed I see!?

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2847 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
Have you ever considered applying N-Serve with a Raven Side-Kick?
I have looked at it and so far I can't justify the added cost on our operation yet. But I wonder if it would help prevent the burn your seeing? The main benefit of the N-Serve they claim, is that you can safely start applying NH3 earlier in the fall.
Some agro's are adding it in the tank for guys, so they don't need to worry about the Side-Kick. However, I am not comfortable with that stuff going through the cooler and flow controller.
Summer fill urea is already as cheap as fall NH3 so added cost like that would make NH3 of no interest to me. Heard it's super corrosive too, which is probably what you are concerned about as well. Otherwise haven't done much research at all on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF View Post
Is that a pink seed I see!?
Kinda, but I didn't treat it.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
Its the complete opposite here, in corn the NH3 band will be a nice dark green color and the corn between knives will be paler. I run 140# NH3 where I don't have manure and come back with side dress 32%. There are guys here that will put on 200-225# NH3 and not have the no germ issue you have but still have early streaking like I described.

Kind of surprised that that would be an NH3 that you are having thee but signs sure point to it.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
The only easy available moisture this spring is at that 4 inch zone and those roots hit it 100% ,
My guess
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Crops on pea stubble here are way thinner and poorer germed than any other kind of stubble. Thought it was odyssey carryover, but after extensive looking it appears to be that it was just too dry in the pea stubble and the in row phosphate killed the seeds. I was using 100 lbs of 11-52 on 10" spacing with a 2" knife. Moisture seemed good at seeding because of the snow that fell a few days before, but it seemed that that moisture soaked in quickly past the seed row and dried out enough for the damage or perhaps the many days of cold and freezing nights made the seed damage worse from the fertilizer with the seed.

My guess is that the bands of NH3 dried out the soil and you have damage from your high rates of seed placed fertilizer.
Haystack and brazil08 like this.
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
There were instances up here where nh3 applied in 2017 affected 2018 crop because of high nitrates iirc.
This year was cold then hot. Then hot and dry. Nothing has mineralized or converted and been dispersed. Hence the “hot” strips. Seeing strange things here again. The weather is the reason.
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Ranch View Post
just a thought, don't you have a disk drill? The reason for this, my buddy had this same pattern in his corn a couple years ago, his father-in law put NH3 and MAP down with a Concord with wide sweeps on at an angle. Long story short, they found that the depth was off because of the worked chisel verse the hard not worked. Their pattern was in line with the rear sweeps. They put a rolling basket/packer and a good harrow on, and no more pattern.
Did you say if it was a disc drill? If it was a shank style drill, what opener and what speed?
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
My guess is the lack of moisture has somewhat stranded the NH3 where it was applied. Any decent amount of moisture would move through the soil allowing it to disperse a little bit better.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Crops on pea stubble here are way thinner and poorer germed than any other kind of stubble. Thought it was odyssey carryover, but after extensive looking it appears to be that it was just too dry in the pea stubble and the in row phosphate killed the seeds. I was using 100 lbs of 11-52 on 10" spacing with a 2" knife. Moisture seemed good at seeding because of the snow that fell a few days before, but it seemed that that moisture soaked in quickly past the seed row and dried out enough for the damage or perhaps the many days of cold and freezing nights made the seed damage worse from the fertilizer with the seed.

My guess is that the bands of NH3 dried out the soil and you have damage from your high rates of seed placed fertilizer.
My thoughts exactly, Pea stubble is a bitch to get things even if the top is too dry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page