NH3 Toxicity - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Its hard to imagine fall banded nh3 burning in the spring. That is a lot of gas though.

Nodust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
This is what my wheat looks like today on my field that I only put a blend down the mid row banders and none in the seed row on May 5th. Arguably it looks better or as good this year as everything that was planted in the 12 days prior that had a modest seed row application and an even higher mid row rate than this field. The field has a two consecutive year soybean history though, so that may be an unknown factor. Nor, has it ever been in trouble for moisture during that month. I likely limited its maximum potential if the showers come perfectly, but a violent thunderstorm usually drowns some out in this neighbourhood. Planted with a 3720 disc drill 6.8 MPH. Each row is 5 inches from a shallow fertilizer band. Sprayed yesterday.

Touch photo for HDR

https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...1&d=1560117865

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FC0788BF-FD68-48EC-8497-F656B7C562CA.jpeg (5.85 MB, 37 views)

Last edited by Haystack; 06-09-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Will the seeds ever germinate that are swelled and hurt by the NH3? I have looked at a field of barley which I single shot (3/4" carbide tip) and I put 100 lbs. of fertilizer down with the seed. I placed it in deep and it has been in the ground 8 days. The seeds still have an inch of moisture on them, are swelling but slow to germ. They were treated and so are pink! I never have used NH3 but the pictures certainly confirm what I am seeing in my field. I treat barley because of smut.

We have had no moisture to speak of to wash the fertilizer away from its placement. I seeded the barley at 95 lb/acre since the snowstorm. I liquid treated with avadex - hope that isn't a problem.

I am wondering if some of the NH3 is gassing off to surface at the shanks and so a higher concentration around the soil disturbance (shank) and so "sterilizing" the soil there?

Nice field Haystack. How hard does that drill pull? Is that a coulter drill or a disc drill? Someday I will have to change from my FC5000 and get something more accurate and MRB the fertilizer. We have rocks so didn't like the idea of running discs. A neighbour has a JD drill and changes the discs yearly - pretty expensive!

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 06-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:19 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
A picture is worth a 1000 words and I do not have one, but the last 2 years(arguably dry, but really decent seeding condition moisture/soil temperature - usually we excessive and colder) I have done some stuff where split up the phosphate between the paired row with seed and than put some down the nitrogen boot(at most 2" away from seed - and it seems very obvious that having it all down with the seed is better. Last year did this with a 85lb 11-52-20 and this yr was 140lbs of 16-24-15-13. Would have thought I would have learned last yr, but that was wheat. Did this with some mustard this yr as thought it may be bit more sensitive to fertilizer and the stuff where all fert down with seed is noticeably better - of course did the smaller portion this way.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Crops on pea stubble here are way thinner and poorer germed than any other kind of stubble. Thought it was odyssey carryover, but after extensive looking it appears to be that it was just too dry in the pea stubble and the in row phosphate killed the seeds. I was using 100 lbs of 11-52 on 10" spacing with a 2" knife. Moisture seemed good at seeding because of the snow that fell a few days before, but it seemed that that moisture soaked in quickly past the seed row and dried out enough for the damage or perhaps the many days of cold and freezing nights made the seed damage worse from the fertilizer with the seed.

My guess is that the bands of NH3 dried out the soil and you have damage from your high rates of seed placed fertilizer.
This is an interesting theory, possibly the right one. I normally just run my second tank of 11-52 so it empties same time as the seed tank, this year would be around 100#/acre as well. I have run up to 140#/acre of 11-52 in seedrow with cereals and no issues, but that likely was in wetter conditions and likely not the "hot" bands that exist this year.

As usual it is never one factor, always a combination of several.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
How hard does that drill pull? Is that a coulter drill or a disc drill? Someday I will have to change from my FC5000 and get something more accurate and MRB the fertilizer. We have rocks so didn't like the idea of running discs. A neighbour has a JD drill and changes the discs yearly - pretty expensive!

It’s a single disc para-link design with a combination seed boot and scraper on one side of the disc. These types of drills can vary wildly in how hard they pull depending on field conditions. Some brands are quite heavy which can help for penetration in extreme situations so they tend to pull hard going uphill.

They generally get paired with a larger tractor than the same size hoe drill would, because under some conditions it’s possible to pull them half as fast again. They aren’t perfect at everything. They likely wouldn’t be my choice in a conventional tillage situation on light open country land, it would likely blow frequently.

I still admire watching 5000 drills comb through a properly prepared field to suit the machine. They are hard to beat for their vintage and have smoothed out a lot of rough farms.
RunninREDharD likes this.

Last edited by Haystack; 06-10-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Placed up to 120# of N as NH3 with the drill this spring in a band 1.5" from the seed with no burn. I'm guessing the tillage from your anhydrous applicator caused the problem. I can see tire tracks made last fall in wheat this spring and that's for sure not anhydrous burn. I've had less than .4" of moisture this spring.
Nodust likes this.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
With NH3 being as hydroscopic as it is, can it be that the bands are holding onto moisture more than between the bands. Since everyone is moisture starved, even that little bit might be a challenge.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
I’m buying into the seed row fert piling on the hot dry rows that were juiced plus it looked like after he uncovered that seed he came back after a couple hours after the sun and wind dried it out!

Last edited by joesixpack; 06-13-2019 at 12:48 PM.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
It's not tillage or dryness, the seeds that did not grow were in good moisture. It is toxicity from the fertilizer, probably exaggerated by the dryness.

Sprayed it yesterday and it is coming around, minus some of the plants in the fertilizer bands...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190612_154733.jpg (496.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190612_151755.jpg (344.1 KB, 63 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page