• 1 Post By jvw
  • 1 Post By Lowmark

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Intercropping or Cover cropping

Hello All!

I'm on the hunt for producers who are currently using intercropping in their rotations in Alberta. This search has lead me here to ask you fine folk!

While I am also interested in cover cropping with legumes, specifically as a source of forage for cattle after harvest, right now my main goal is finding someone intercropping pulses with oilseeds or cereals. Anyone here think they could help me out? Or maybe know of a forage association or applied research place doing trials?

Bonus points if you live south of Red Deer and not up in the Peace Country

Cheers,
Angie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
We are doing peas and sunflowers together.

Angie likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
There are a few guys doing what you’re looking for.
What specific information are you looking for?

Peas/barley, peas/oats, peas/mustard, cereals underseeded with clovers for fall/spring grazing, oats/radishes for covers and grazing.

There are lots of intercroppers on Twitter.
Angie likes this.

Last edited by Hillbillyreefer; 06-20-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I do 5000 acres of canola-bean every year, does that count?

Not intentionally, the **** just doesn't die.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:06 AM
jvw

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
I've experimented with clover under cereals for fall/spring grazing and increased straw palatability, plus the other benefits of a nitrogen fixing cover crop, none this year, but plan to try again. I know it needs to rain for it to work, which it failed to do last time around. Located west of Red Deer.

Look up Red Hen mills, organic farm, they are doing intercropping successfully.
Angie likes this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
While I am in peace country, if your going to do any sort of write up on it would love to read it.
Angie likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys

I'm searching because I work for a NFP that hosts field days for farmers and one of the topics we're interested in is intercropping/cover cropping. Looking for someone willing to host a day (that we will organize) and do a bit of talking about their experiences. Usually we try and get some research folks out to talk on the subject as well, but it's got more hit behind it if we can get on a site that's practicing it so producers can see it in action. Sadly I'm having issues finding trial plots in the southern part who are working with intercropping, but I think actual field sized, farmer run scale has more oomf behind it anyway. I'm in the southern half of the province, from Red Deer down to the border, but if there's lots of interest we'd definitely set one up for northern producers as well! There seems to be more doing it up there, that's for sure.

JVW thanks for the name to search for, I'll definitely look them up! Hopefully you got some of the rain we've got east of 2 in the last few days. One of my farmer pals east of Carstairs got 2" last night! On top of 1.5" on Tuesday. They've gone from bone dry to rained out there.

Lowmark if you're interested you may want to check out the Gateway Research Organization. I think they've done trial work with it and know of people up there doing cover cropping for sure.

HillbillyReefer, I do plan on attempting to find them on Twitter. I've seen some great ones but they've never been in Alberta and alas, I'm not the greatest at searching for stuff in the mass of Twitter!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Andy Kirshenman has some experience doing intercropping/cover cropping around the Hilda area I believe if you could contact him or follow him on twitter. He is has a wealth of knowledge on the subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page