Next Big 2019 Western Canadian Crop Issue? - The Combine Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Next Big 2019 Western Canadian Crop Issue?

Think the drought is old news now, but very real issue I think is delayed crop stage for this time of year. The "usable" growing degree day calculator that I use would show that in these parts we have only seen 2 years since 2000 where we have been further behind than this yr, we are 8 good days behind the 20yr avg, almost 11 good days behind the recent 10 year avg.

The dry part of my 2019 forecast lasted until start of June, but the hot part still not here - lol. Everybody around these parts may think crops look very good and trying to time how much money/fungicide may be required to keep it that way, but I am early and need more heat and at least all of August with no killing frost without having a bunch of poor germinating, bad grading stuff - a much worse scenario for me than drought.

Suspect that when the recently annual Grain World western Cdn tour disrupts everybody's August long wkend plans - or not - that there could be as much press on this as anything else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
I've been wondering about this too. Our crops are doing ok, mostly because we don't have any wheat, but there are some guys with wheat that is just heading out, and because of the weather this spring, there is crop in the same field 2 weeks behind that, and for this area that's starting to push the boundaries on whether or not it will beat a frost. We've been pretty lucky here for quite a few years now and not getting an early frost, or even our usual frost for that matter, hope we aren't getting due for one.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
whether its wheat or canola the 2 crops 1 field problem is pretty real. the green patches of canola can be swathed when rest of field is ripe and maybe only a bit of extra green count if you are not too proud to go back to swathing it again. but to wait that stuff out standing or the wheat that is now a mix of early dough stage and not even done heading I don't know.... I think the good ol days of spraying glyphos to knock out the green heads might be a thing of the past!

Last edited by bradw2; 07-14-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2874 Post(s)
I think this is one of those things that isn't a problem until it's a problem. Farmers have cried wolf too many times to be believed unfortunately.

But we are behind normal and the corn is way behind normal. I had corn tasseling and 7 feet tall last year on this day, this year it might be waist high! And it appears to be all the corn around here too. Anyone thinking they will harvest corn anywhere near dry this year is dreaming.

This is not only a Western Canada problem, it extends down into the US midwest too. This crop is in serious peril from any kind of a early frost I would say.
bfl2008 and brazil08 like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:45 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Diesel consumption.
bfl2008 likes this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Barn
Not just a Canada thing, this crop is 2 weeks behind as well here pushing pollination back into extreme heat conditions which doesn't help. Corn is actually catching up, beans are what they are. Our next big issue is lack of rain, hot and dry the last 10 days and the 8-10 is calling for the same. With too much excessive rain the roots have not had to chase moisture, they are shallow and going to burn up.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Drought is still a concern. Southern Alberta from Calgary south is still in bad drought and the crops that didn’t get anything until the end of June in SW SK don’t look great. We’re on year 3 of way below average rainfall now.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Starting to think grass hoppers might start to get talked about a bit more. A few days ago drove my quad down a back road, literally millions on that stretch of road, disgusting.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
I sprayed a quarter of lentils for hoppers a couple days ago. This quarter has also received the most rain this year of the ones we farm.

Last edited by SouthernSK; 07-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I'm probably gearing up for hoppers across the board here shortly.

Integrated pest management? More like calender spraying at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page