Canola pod shatter - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Canola pod shatter

Being a dry time at seeding my canola is in various stages. It emerged mostly ok but I seem to have 20 percent of the plants that are two weeks behind. It l233p so Iím wonder how long can I leave it to swath without the majority being too dry to swath. Iíd like to at least be able to not have excessive green seeds. How long can I expect it to stand before Mother Nature takes over and the pod shatter gene gives way to the elements.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Why did you grow pod shatter if u plan too swath? Regardless U don’t got nothing to worry about ..

Let it stand - burn it down When it’s all ready, use some Heat , lotsa water , .. than chop it with a straight cut, like shhit through a goose

You’ll be doing it all like that next year ..

jaymo and Windmillfarms like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I don't think the P shatter gene will give way to the elements. We had some L140 last year get snowed on twice and flattened and there was barely any pods shattering.
Our farm has some really stagy canola too, but its all getting straight cut. I would recommend you find a straight cut header and just be patient and let it all ripen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Wait as long as necessary. If you don't want to drop $20 in your field and make tracks get a combine that can handle green straw or you can still swath and leave it a few days to pull the green out of the straw. It's a very versatile crop with the pod-shatter gene.
torriem and Border Farmer like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
we’ll swman has a good point .. defiantly can save a few bucks if u can push it through , giver,

my last 2 cents... last year I could stall a s680 with 35 feet of Fd1... that’s if I pushed her past where she wanted to be... that was a heavy crop, burnt down about 2 weeks ... surprising straight cutting canola can take some power... complete opposite of a swath..

You’ll find a lot less green MOG in your sample - if u spray , if it’s going into a bin, might wanna think about that one...

Fwiw- i will desiccate it all ... to me, it goes hand in hand with straight cutting ...
Lakefield likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 PM
drp

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
Being a dry time at seeding my canola is in various stages. It emerged mostly ok but I seem to have 20 percent of the plants that are two weeks behind. It l233p so Iím wonder how long can I leave it to swath without the majority being too dry to swath. Iíd like to at least be able to not have excessive green seeds. How long can I expect it to stand before Mother Nature takes over and the pod shatter gene gives way to the elements.
Just desiccate it and straight cut it. Did the same last year. Had 233p with basically a drought for 4-5 weeks during flowering and pod fill. The lighter ground of the field shut down and then started regrowing when the rains came in early August. Did not want to desiccate but had no choice. I suppose swathing very late would achieve the same result.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I’ll probably swath it because my wife will be on the combine. A lot easier for her to pick up a swath that me to unplug the combine. Father used to run a second combine but due to his progressing age (90) I don’t think he’ll be making much dust this year. So the less possible problem way is wat will happen. Never makes for a fun day unplugging a combine
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Lots of guys be combing canola in Nov from the fields I see around me

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keldifornia View Post
Why did you grow pod shatter if u plan too swath? Regardless U donít got nothing to worry about ..

Let it stand - burn it down When itís all ready, use some Heat , lotsa water , .. than chop it with a straight cut, like shhit through a goose

Youíll be doing it all like that next year ..
Keldifornia,

You have any good tips on using heat and glphosate to desicate canola? I have tried it 3 years in a row and been very, very disappointed with it. Tried 10, 12 and 15 gallons of water and it did not seem to make any difference. Morning spraying seemed to be slightly better, evening spraying was like 2 or 3 days slower to dry down. Seems to take 2 weeks for it to work for me, which is probably only 4 days sooner than doing nothing at all. Reglone usually takes only 5-7 days, but has no perennial weed control.

Does the crop have to be slightly greener to get heat to work? Perhaps I am spraying it when it is too mature? Just seems like the straw stays green for me. Most if not all of the leaves on the canola have fallen off when I desicate it with heat. Probably 90%+ seed color change.

Anyone have any good tips? Right now straight glphosate is the same speed as heat and glphosate in desicating my canola. I was using heat at the recommended label rate for desicating liberty canola, cant remember what that was for sure, but think it was 40 acres a container for liberty canola when combined with glphosate and 30 acres a contained if used alone.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
I think heat causes the roundup to not work properly. I personally would forget the heat if it is Liberty link and just use roundup. I personally think heat is overrated and I no longer use it.

crw, meritmat and bauerr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in