Hail - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Hail

So i had a couple rounds of hail on most of my fields, i seldom have ever had hail so it was kind of out of the ordinary.
Ive got a question though, on my canola, they counted and came up with roughly 50% damage. I agreed with all their counts, they seemed fair (ex farmer, not a schoolteacher)
When i went to sign off they bring out this chart, he asked how many days flower, and i said around 5. Then he says we will only give 12% damage. He claimed all the companies use this chart and thats just how it is. It seemed kinda like i got screwed, but i signed it.
Now im thinking, did they pull a fast one? Or is this how it works?
Like i said i hardly ever get hail, and i dont think ive ever in my 28yr career gotten hail on canola so i felt inexperienced.
This is more or less the chart they used.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture-15.jpg (28.0 KB, 210 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
If you agreed to the 50%, sorry it’s a “verbal” agreement they have to honour it. If you signed and they signed they have a leg to stand on. Insurance is the BIGGEST SCAM going.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
If you agreed to the 50%, sorry itís a ďverbalĒ agreement they have to honour it. If you signed and they signed they have a leg to stand on. Insurance is the BIGGEST SCAM going.
Yes, i realize I don't have a leg to stand on, but i'm wondering if this "chart" is common practice on Canola? I'm just trying to learn for next time.
They claimed all companies use it, i'm just trying to find out if they lied about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Never seen a chart like that before, but companies are getting craftier at appraising.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hail

Never seen a chart before, but I have learned alot from veteran hail adjusters an one thing that stuck with me was if the main stem is cut off that is more yield gone than a side branch cut off, of course it depends on how high the cut off was compared to undamaged plants. Line company or Afsc?

Last edited by qlranching; 07-20-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: wasn't complete
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Bah had mustard field get hammered years ago. It was in full bloom. Called the line company. They took a look and said get us out on Sept 1. Did not matter that it was pretty much toast. They would not adjust it then. The one dumb **** of an adjuster said we donít want to write your crop off and hear
You combined a 20 bu crop later. Had 3 more storms come through that field. If it grew back a flower that counted.

What a joke

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Have never seen or heard of a chart like that, sounds a little "screwy" to me. The damage should be the damage, black and white. Hail insurance has been the only insurance I have ever been happy with. Had some canola hailed on a few years ago in later bloom, had a good adjuster that explained to me how they come up with their numbers, can't recall how they they did it now, but there was never an adjustment for the timing of the plant. Even though you signed it, I believe you still have the right for a re-adjustment if you aren't happy. We did that with some oats the same year as the canola was hailed, signed off on the first adjustment, then when we got into it with the combine could see it was worse, called them back and they looked it over and gave another 20-25% damage.

Good luck, sorry about the hail.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Try to get good records going forward... your yield vs area average etc. Unless you are tearing it up, that's really the only way to get a sense of what you lost. Might be worth the time to bring in an independent weigh wagon, bin it separate, etc. I got caught on the signing off argument once (not hail, just regular crop insurance) and I won't sign off again until I know the final yields.

Last edited by whtbaron; 07-20-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_armer View Post
Yes, i realize I don't have a leg to stand on, but i'm wondering if this "chart" is common practice on Canola? I'm just trying to learn for next time.
They claimed all companies use it, i'm just trying to find out if they lied about that.
What Iím saying is if they gave you 50%, you agreed to itís a done deal. How can they bring out that chart when they first said it was 50%?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
What Iím saying is if they gave you 50%, you agreed to itís a done deal. How can they bring out that chart when they first said it was 50%?
It was after the counts, he was filling in the form, and he says basically, because it was 50% damage and only 5 days into flowering this here chart says actual yield loss will only be 12%. I questioned him on it, but he replied that it was a standard chart that all hail companies use. I was naive i suppose and signed off.
Company was rain and hail

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page