Ridiculous weather for harvest again - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
You know it's getting bad when you are happy to just be able to test it. Tries barley and canola Friday afternoon, couldn't even get a number on the dial on the moisture meter.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I've managed to get 500 acres off. Most things are sprouting now and fields are sloppy wet. 6 to 8 inches of rain is a stupidly high amount for harvest around here.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
post #23 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
No exceptionally big rains here, just too many small ones to get going. I've got some 20% wheat I combined 2 weeks ago that is just getting down to 17% on air (just above floor) and yes I've been turning it the best I can. Only 25% done with all the canola and half the wheat still in the swath. Soys are still standing and staying green. Sounds like we might get 2 more days to run this week if the ground gets dry enough to run on. Most guys around here are picking up what they can dry, but some of my neighbors haven't got a bushel in the bin yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2247.JPG (456.5 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Barn
I did one field where it took 2 combines 6 days to finish. Dew finally burnt off around supper so you go 3 hours till sunset and then park. Grain has all come off dry but straw just wont go through. This year has already been the most separator hours I've had and haven't started beans yet

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
Cr 970
post #25 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Nice day today and bly is still testing 18.3 then 19 on next field. Heads are all pointed straight down. Ripe is an understatement but the dryer has another 8000 bu of wet bly to dry. Quit and tried peas after supper and 18%. I would have taken them sooner but the straw was still chewy bad from the ground being damp still. Nothing sticking to the tires much but leaving imprints with my rice tires lug deep. I have a contract for a couple bins of peas that will feed olysky's pigs and splits don't matter there. Very fortunate to have the feed mill here. No railroad but at least there is a market for feed grains. I wanted a barn close to me for the access of the fertilizer you can get from it. Too many people were against it so the barn went elsewhere. The places where the farmers grow huge crops with minimal inputs are where the barns are lol.
post #26 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Beautiful rain last night with unreal amounts of lightning for this time of year. Another harvest that is getting old fast. We’ve only done about 100ac of barley so far. Haven’t swathed any canola yet, maybe start tomorrow...I am thinking I need a dryer...but as dad says, “it’s only September, monsoon season”....
post #27 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Must be the storm i saw driving in from Sask. wild, nonstop, flashes, was cool looking from a distance.
post #28 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Started into some canola last night at 12.5... it finally got down to dry around 4 today. By dark it was back up to 11.9... more rain in the forecast.
post #29 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Doing barley now, very mature like dookillers. Everything going good yesterday, straight cutting testing around 14.8. Crazy high humidity last night but forecast on radio all day said good weather till weekend. Perfect, should be able to hit field today and take off dry then. Get up this morning and fog. Water dripping off combine. Wait till 2 pm and go back into field with overcast 22 deg 80% humidity and barley standing like a pyramid in hopper. Combine moisture meter says 15 ish, look at barley and its sprouted like crazy, and test weight way down. There was some sprouts yesterday but now they catch on the mesh grid on the swing auger and I have to continuously move the barley to get it through the 3" mesh. Never seen barley go south in a day. Bench tester says 19. I think the sprouts mess with the sensor on the combine. A total crap crop of barley out there now.
post #30 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio View Post
Beautiful rain last night with unreal amounts of lightning for this time of year. Another harvest that is getting old fast. We’ve only done about 100ac of barley so far. Haven’t swathed any canola yet, maybe start tomorrow...I am thinking I need a dryer...but as dad says, “it’s only September, monsoon season”....
Ya I was watching that light show from the cart tractor last night too. It was impressive and persistent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page