Ridiculous weather for harvest again - The Combine Forum
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Ridiculous weather for harvest again

Well it's another start of harvest here watching it rain a little every second or third day. No wind except when it rains and rarely seeing the sun most days. I haven't seen dust from the rear of the combine much this fall at all. Peas at 21-22 in air bins in the rain. Still lots in the field that can't be harvested due to rain or cloud making them wrap and not worth the fight to get in the bin. Took swathed bly off and running it through the dryer at 19 and even 21 in greener places to get it off the ground before this 2 day rain event. Standing bly got to 17.3 only and is soaking in the rain for another bout of needing 2 days of sun to get back to harvestabilty. Dryer will be working overtime once the rain stops long enough to be fired up again. I have 4500 of bly in dry bin and 5000 in wet bins waiting patiently for weather of course. My canola is staying green with the lack of sun but I guess its not freezing yet at least. Dry spring and moderately cool summer and wet fall. Exactly the opposite of what one needs to keep sanity in this business. Prices in the crapper as well are going to make the profit margin nonexistant. 38 cents last fill for propane. wish I had 5 1000's here to captivate the low end on propane pricing. Still Sept but looking at the long range it looks like a couple days harvesting at best here and there with dryer doing the work. I know I am not the only one struggling to get rolling here. How about you? and where you at with harvest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
We have double the combine capacity we need and in years like this it pays off big. If you can find the man power and trucking you get so much more done when the conditions are good. There is a lot to harvest all over. Our two large used combines are worth about a 40% of a new big one. The problem for everyone is we have not had any heat for the last month. Thankfully we have not had frost yet.

dieselburner11 and Transaxial like this.
post #3 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
Well it's another start of harvest here watching it rain a little every second or third day. No wind except when it rains and rarely seeing the sun most days. I haven't seen dust from the rear of the combine much this fall at all. Peas at 21-22 in air bins in the rain. Still lots in the field that can't be harvested due to rain or cloud making them wrap and not worth the fight to get in the bin. Took swathed bly off and running it through the dryer at 19 and even 21 in greener places to get it off the ground before this 2 day rain event. Standing bly got to 17.3 only and is soaking in the rain for another bout of needing 2 days of sun to get back to harvestabilty. Dryer will be working overtime once the rain stops long enough to be fired up again. I have 4500 of bly in dry bin and 5000 in wet bins waiting patiently for weather of course. My canola is staying green with the lack of sun but I guess its not freezing yet at least. Dry spring and moderately cool summer and wet fall. Exactly the opposite of what one needs to keep sanity in this business. Prices in the crapper as well are going to make the profit margin nonexistant. 38 cents last fill for propane. wish I had 5 1000's here to captivate the low end on propane pricing. Still Sept but looking at the long range it looks like a couple days harvesting at best here and there with dryer doing the work. I know I am not the only one struggling to get rolling here. How about you? and where you at with harvest?
Your are not ALONE, counted TWO days of sun for harvest so far. Getting concerned about dragging the flex headers in the mud to harvest a soybean crop.
As of sept 8The USDA crop states over 6 million acres of soybeans have not set pods yet and over 9 million acres of corn are not in the dough stage, yet they continue to state their trend line yields. I have farmed a lot of decades and I have always found a late seeded crops is poor, so unless the situation in the U.S states is overblown, and things are looking fantesticle, with another big crop, which I think is B.S because family in south Dakota are really suffering from poor yields from ridiculous weather.
What do you think captain USA, WILL THEIR BE FIREWORKS in the September 12 USDA report, or will things be neutral until the combines start rolling,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat King View Post
What do you think captain USA, WILL THEIR BE FIREWORKS in the September 12 USDA report, or will things be neutral until the combines start rolling,
**** the USDA. Those idiots have no clue. Sept 12 will probably be a yawner thought they did say they may have a handle on prevent plant acres, however my gut feeling at this point is they will just raise yield and/or cut demand to make up the reduction, which on both counts is horseshit.

Currently corn processors are hand to mouth running 12 hours 7 days a week and a plus .15 basis, they are not getting enough corn. Local coops are at the lowest corn inventory levels in years.

We're just starting silage chopping and I do a small amount of custom work, I have not been in a field appraised over 200 BPA yet, moisture is 68% yet with kernel moisture at 42%, we are a solid 10-14 days behind getting started. Seed corn harvest was attempted last week, corn sprayed with defole still in the upper 40's for moisture, suspended for 10 days. Variability in fields is pretty extreme, seed production coming in around half to 3/4 of last years yields.

And we're a better area.

None of this will matter though, they'll kick the can to the Jan. report where they can shave production and reconcile the numbers a bit and roll out a massive planting intentions number for 2020. Bear in mind, USDA claims we planted 90 million acres of corn this year, they also acknowledge a large prevent plant, 10 million acres +/-, keep 98 million corn in your head for next year, maybe 100, it won't happen but that doesn't matter.

Did I say **** the USDA?

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #5 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brutal here in Northern Alberta, steady rain for the last two weeks. Hoping we see a break soon, Barley in the swath.... At least the geese are getting fed
post #6 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I have a quarter of wheat in swaths, so far the scare cannon is keeping the geese away. Went Saturday and tested it, 23%. They were only calling for about 10mm of rain Sunday so I figured I'd wait. Probably got 1 1/2 inches since then, that 23% doesn't seem so bad now! Shoulda maybe taken off at least a super bees worth and get the frostfighter going, have something in the bin at least and get a bit ahead of the drying if this keeps up.
post #7 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Hmmm, maybe I'll finally sell my used dryer. Would not have any dry wheat if not for the dryer personally, never thought it would be such a large part of my harvest so quick! Lots of neighbors with piles of tough grain in bins....

There was frost here Sunday morning too, and corn looks a bit sick in lower areas. Looks like wet weather all of this week but it will turn eventually...I hope!

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Harvest weather????!!!!!That's a good one!!!!!!! Got about 300 acres of barley off a month ago that was dry. Probably the nicest barley I have ever seen, 58 lbs. Have since had a good 7 inches of rain since then, considering a grain cart now as the fields are so soft and wet, water in a few spots. Got the oats off dryish a couple days ago. Almost done the barley now, about 50 acres to go. Stuff is sprouted but surprisingly not as bad as a guy would think it should be as it hasn't come close to dry in a month, yesterday it was the driest we took off since it began raining, 17%. Rest has been from 18 to 23%. Our old dryer surprised me, I didn't think it would dry the 23 stuff in one go, or if it did, it would be unbearably slow, but it actually ran through about 150-200 an hour. Not bad for a 40 year old machine! Everything has been or will be dried except for the first 300 acres. I am really getting tired of moving grain around. Oh, by the way, barley testing 23 begins to heat in 36 hours without air. Just in case you want to know! Feel sorry for the poor old combine having to grunt this all through. As brutal as this has been, we have quite a bit more off than most in our area. We have been going a lot of days others weren't. Once again, the dryer is the best piece of equipment we own. Know of some guys that didn't take stuff off that was 15-16% a couple weeks ago because they don't have a dryer. Geese got a bit of the barley, but not bad, they moved on to the neighbors pea ground. On the bright side, the barley we got off early should make good seed, if this is any indication!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.JPG (3.74 MB, 34 views)

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Wow harvest is always such a fight!

Have had decent weather in Southern Alberta. Most cereals are done and quality was good. Rainy now, and it's much cooler. Last fall it was damp most of September. We shall see how it goes.
bussard likes this.
post #10 of 221 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Harvest weather????!!!!! Once again, the dryer is the best piece of equipment we own. Know of some guys that didn't take stuff off that was 15-16% a couple weeks ago because they don't have a dryer.
15-16% isnít even thought twice about combining around here. Even on a good year.
Thatís considered dry by most people around here

serf-farmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in