Canola and Flax sprouting? - The Combine Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By lurker18

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Canola and Flax sprouting?

How well do canola and flax handle big rains when they get ripe for harvest. Like alot of you we have had 3.5 inches in the last 8 days. Both crops will be straight cut. Hearing of alot of wheat and durum sprouting here. But have never heard of anyone having canola or flax sprout. But just curious how it does if we get wet again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Been growing flax for 8 years, never seen it sprout. Even in 2016.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
We are closer to 6 in the same time frame. I started on the canola yesterday. I haven't seen any sprouting. I hope the flax is the same. Our durum is shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Have never seen flax or canola sprout. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Canola will sprout but it doesn't seem to cause many issues, not like when cereals sprout. Elevators don't seem to worry about it much either. That is subject to change.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Oilseeds seem to take the rain really well. We have never had flax sprout and it takes a pile of rain to sprout canola.

Diesldog how is the durum in general in your area? Guys are just starting to harvest durum around us and a lot of the early stuff has light bushel weight. After all the rain good durum is going to be hard to find. Hopefully the price will start going up.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Durum and wheat that are left are gonna be close to junk. Hearing alot of sprout. Maybe 25% done county wide. Loys and lots of cereals still out there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Canola does sprout, and if graded correctly, the sprouts should be counted as damaged. If the sprouting is bad enough and the elevator uses the correct sieves, it will take some of it out. Higher dockage but could save a grade. As for flax, I have never seen it sprout, but the boles get all gummy and the flax can not be separated from the boles.
marshall and torriem like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Have seen the same thing as what lurker had posted happen . When flax gets wet there is a coating on the outside of the seed that gets all slimy and kind of gums up the boll and you can't separate the seed from the dividers and you get a crumby sample but I guess that the oil is ok . And have seen canola sprout while in the swath or standing but not usually a major issue -- remember thrashing canola when freezing and busting through ice that had formed in the swather tracks and it still graded #2 after drying .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
I had a customer years ago call me in the fall concerned about his flax sprouting in the swath. I told him not to worry as i had bought LOTS of flax over the years and quite a bit of spring thrash and NEVER heard of it sprouting. He said "well...it is". I went to do a field check and what do you know...it WAS sprouted. Flip a swath over and it was GROWING and not just a little. It looked like the bean sprouts you buy in the store. Now, having said that, that is the only time in 25 years of buying grain that I had ever even HEARD of flax sprouting and, as the producer lamented "It's the biggest flax crop I've ever seen" which may have contributed to the problem as the swaths were HUGE for flax and it was the bottom of the swaths that was sprouting. While it's obviously possible, it's so unlikely that i wouldn't worry about it. I've also seen canola sprout but that too, is unusual but not as unusual as flax and Lurker is correct about it being considered "damaged".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page