Canola Advice - The Combine Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Canola Advice

So I am one of the guys stuck with a pretty green crop. Most are only 25% greenish and being sprayed now. Mine is 50% and not advancing. Stuck the swather in there today and its too rank to even cut. Some pods all green seeds, no black.

Running out of time in the season. Need to give this a push to maturity. There is a monster crop in there and I need it.

Ag rep says glyphos with Heat will start it down the path and be slow enough not to abort seeds. Is he right or am I going to cut yield? Should I wait? No frost in forecast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Guys here cutting super Green canola..Hardly cut it..Making Mega piles..Not sure what the right answer is..The calendar dictates..

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Same crap here I donít think itís even 20 % color. Frost forecast for end of next week so I might just knock it down beginning of the week?? Havenít got anything combined yet as crops are not turning nothing ready. Have desiccated some wheat and barley but will be a while on that yet as well.. fun year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Well, not suppose to spray green...but...
We had uneven germination and hills were all green. Probably 5% of potential yield I’m guessing was to green to spray. But we sprayed it, can’t risk leaving all the good stuff out there forever. Will be 3 weeks this weekend and it’s almost ready to combine and don’t think we lost any yield.

Brent.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Are you geared up to straight cut canola that will bound to have some pretty green stems?

Our swathers are probably on the last section we’ll swath and starting the last round of canola desiccation.

I’ve found 2 years in a row that standing desiccated crop took a frost better than stuff swathed the same time.

Sold all our standing that had some frost as #1. Had to blend like a ******* to get the swathed stuff gone.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
If you spray it now i bet its a month before you combine it. The spray won't work like it did a few weeks ago. At this point i would wait as long as you think you can and swath it. I don't know what you have for a swather but at some point you might have to consider hiring a custom swather if you can't do it.
kevlar likes this.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I have a older Premier swather with MD head and it works fine when the canola is 80% cured like usual. Had a pretty rough time in there with it today. And cool weather to boot makes for pretty hard cutting. We would be slogging away at 2 mph. At least if its sprayed first take some starch out of the plant and I might be able to rattle through it in a weeks time. we straight cut a few yrs back in 2016 and it was ****. Late green stems and cold weather made that a slog as well. Not really looking to do that.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Hutterites here cut blooming canola. 2 ish weeks ago. Lots of sprouted seeds. There is more yield there than what I was expecting to see. But way too much spouted. Alittle sprouted in the standing stuff to but not near the amount as swathed.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah forgot to mention fing cleavers in there too. Sure would like to blast those with some chem before they set seed.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
So would you hire a plane ? Or ?

People in your area will custom swath for $14/Ac.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page