Take a hike Bayer etc!!! - The Combine Forum
 31Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Take a hike Bayer etc!!!

So the harvest is terrible and the prices suck. I go to get some Glyphosate and get told it's time to book canola for next yr. Really I said? I know the people telling me this, so I am frank, but polite, No thanks I said. Not interested. "but you get a rebate and a cent off your NH3 /lb if you book now" is the next line. I had to grit my teeth and leave as I know they are just doing their job. I remember when this book in advance BS started. It was Xmas time and Monsanto and Bayer wanted their shareholders to be real happy and started this. They fed you all kinds of BS that this will keep our prices lower by not over treating seed and seeing which varieties are of interest etc. I personally have not seen any cheaper seed have you? This carrot they dangle in front of your face is BS and we all know it! Why do we all fall for this crap. Last yr I said no and the yr before. I walked into the seed shed and picked what I wanted, for the same price as prebought people got it for, because they had extra and wanted it gone. If we all said no to canola purchases now do you think they would get the hint?? I do!!! If we all said no until just before seeding what do you think seed prices would do?? Sure as **** wouldn't sky rocket and they would be scrambling to get your business. Just my thoughts but what do I know. Farmers are a strong voice all together but a just another sheep for slaughter on their own.

Snipe, proff, ZEEMAN and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
I've said that all along too. Tired of hearing the line "book now, as there is going to be a shortage next year and you might not get your seed" Even a few years ago they were saying that, then half of western Canada froze and had to reseed. Not one person I know of was turned away for seed. The amount of money they make off that seed, they would haul it on Yuan Valdez's mule to get it to you if they had to. We don't prebook much of anything, and we get the same price in the spring as we would have in the fall, less the interest we would have paid on top of it. On a farm our size, the few cents here and there don't add up to much anyways, and leaves us free to deal where we want to if things change. I have found companies are more eager to get your business if you don't commit to them. Only haul canola to elevators, no contracts, never have trouble getting it out because if they don't take, we go somewhere else.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 11:34 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
The amount of money they make off that seed, they would haul it on Yuan Valdez's mule to get it to you if they had to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
They would keep the seed in the warehouse create a shortage and jack up the prices when everybody wanted it a week before seeding.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
You guys are way too nice to these seed retailers I would have lost it and told them to go pound sand.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-21-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2873 Post(s)
As a general rule I don't have a problem booking seed ahead of the season to ensure supply, but I make it well known that there is no point in even asking until harvest is finished and trial results can be calculated.

Should be a rule that they aren't allowed to sell anything for next year until they hand over the rebate check from last year!
bfl2008, SouthernSK, JoRu and 3 others like this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-22-2019, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
As a general rule I don't have a problem booking seed ahead of the season to ensure supply, but I make it well known that there is no point in even asking until harvest is finished and trial results can be calculated.

Should be a rule that they aren't allowed to sell anything for next year until they hand over the rebate check from last year!
X2
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-22-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I probably will book some. Not sure if I will grow any next. Will see how much moisture comes before May. Not wanting to spend a lot for only 2 inches of rain during the growing season
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I will book some, always do, but later as well. Just won't be Invigor....

BASF and the Invigor seed line will be sold by the seed for 2020. Hooray, another way to gouge me and get another 15% on top of their increases for 2020. "All for the benefit of the farmer"

Been through this rant before......
Abfarms likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Unread 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobobaroo View Post
I will book some, always do, but later as well. Just won't be Invigor....

BASF and the Invigor seed line will be sold by the seed for 2020. Hooray, another way to gouge me and get another 15% on top of their increases for 2020. "All for the benefit of the farmer"

Been through this rant before......
I don't like the ideal one bit of buying a bag of canola seed having a pre set seeding rate determined by basf. Yeah I know 2 lbs an acre may give a crop but when you have non ideal conditions its sure is nice to have a 4.8 lb per acre seeding rate. I also think Its bad timing for basf to bring in increased canola seed costs during the trade war. Seeding 4.5 lbs per acre just got a whole lot more expensive. In no panic to book!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in