Bin sense monitors vs stormax - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Bin sense monitors vs stormax

Any feelings one way or the other on these bin monitors- is the moisture reading on these accurate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm switching to bin sense, stormax monitor is junk (expensive piece of ****)! I cant answer the moisture question, ordering 5 moisture/temp cables today.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Stormax handheld reader can have new moisture charts updated for it for various crops. I did that on my reader (requires a USB cable and software).

All moisture cables work the same way. They simply read relative air humidity. Then they use a chart to lookup that up with temperature to get an estimate of the grain's moisture content. No matter what system, it's just an estimate, and the accuracy is always going to better at certain values than others. Partly these charts are generated by mathematical formulas, and partly by empiricle measurement. No manufacturer can guarantee they've made measurements for every combination of temperature and humidity, and they can't account for every little difference in your grain varieties.

The stormax cables are accurate enough if you're within a couple of percent of dry. If you're dealing with really dry grain or realy wet grain, the charts just aren't that accurate. Just the nature of measuring moisture this way, regardless of what system you go with.

Theoretically if the units allowed altering the curves with manual data entry you could tell the reader, hey this is 20% grain, and it would adjust things. But the Opi handheld reader is not a very powerful little unit. Just an 8-bit microprocessor with limited computational skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a binsense system, with both opi and binsense tempature cables. Works great. Wouldn't farm without it. I do have 1 opi moisture/ temperature cable. Don't like it, the moisture reading is never close . Anywhere from 2-10% off.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
I have binsense on every bin on the place and wouldn’t be without it. We don’t run and moisture cables though.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Anyone using CO2 monitoring?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I have co. But no co2
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
I'm thinking of getting some bin monitors, get the feeling guys here like the Binsense ones the most? What are the costs for this set up?

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Barn
We upgraded our temp cables to moisture and put them online. Love the system but it's good to know your moisture going into the bin at harvest and then you can apply an offset to the moisture it's giving you. You tell it what grain is in the bin and it tries to adjust it best it can. Really nice to watch what is going on inside. When you apply air and heat, you can watch it change in real-time at all levels. It will send you alerts by text or email if/when something changes outside a range that you can set. By default, it will alert you if the is a 2-degree change over a week. Flaman came out and did the whole yard in a few hours and got it all up and running. Hard to see farming now without it. Total cost was around 2K per bin.

As we always seem to be harvesting tough grain these days we had no real way of knowing if we had it dry so we ended up over-drying or under drying. Unless you turned the bin you really didn't know. Now we do!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schraefel View Post
We upgraded our temp cables to moisture and put them online. Love the system but it's good to know your moisture going into the bin at harvest and then you can apply an offset to the moisture it's giving you. You tell it what grain is in the bin and it tries to adjust it best it can. Really nice to watch what is going on inside. When you apply air and heat, you can watch it change in real-time at all levels. It will send you alerts by text or email if/when something changes outside a range that you can set. By default, it will alert you if the is a 2-degree change over a week. Flaman came out and did the whole yard in a few hours and got it all up and running. Hard to see farming now without it. Total cost was around 2K per bin.

As we always seem to be harvesting tough grain these days we had no real way of knowing if we had it dry so we ended up over-drying or under drying. Unless you turned the bin you really didn't know. Now we do!
$2000/bin, how much of that is the cable and how much is the install/signal sending part?

I have cables in all my bin, would like the remote monitoring.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page