Malt Barley vs Feed Barley - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Malt Barley vs Feed Barley

For the past number of years I have been growing Copeland barley and most years getting malt. But I would love to grow a feed varity and never have to deal with the crap that goes along with marketing malt barley. Is there anything out there that has a big yield advantage over Copeland?
We did grow Xena years ago, but never seamed to see a big enough yield advantage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Try this

http://www.saskseed.ca/images/varieties2012.pdf

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We replaced Copeland with Newdale a few years ago and considered it a good upgrade at the time - I'd say a 10% yield bump or so with good weight, lodging and fus. Only downside relative to Copeland is a few days later maturity.

Weather has really hammered barley here the last couple years to the point where I'm unsure whether I'll be growing any in 2013 at all. But if I do, like you, I'll be growing it to feed the pigs rather than to fatten the maltsters

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM

we tried "cowboy" this year.....was not happy with the yeild at all....lots of straw....must b a sialage barley. Pretty tough to beat copeland even for feed in my experience
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryson View Post
we tried "cowboy" this year.....was not happy with the yeild at all....lots of straw....must b a sialage barley. Pretty tough to beat copeland even for feed in my experience
Hello Ryson
Yes, Cowboy is a forage barley.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM
711bert

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
we've always grown conlon, always good yields but haven't compared it to other varieties
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree wholeheartedly with mkeating as regards barley this last 3 years . My issue is this , if I replace barley with CPS , which is today's plan , am I setting myself up for a yield wreck if we get a drier year ? In drier years like 04 or 05 our Copeland did 90bu plus , but in 09 and 10 did in the 40's . Switched to Metcalfe in 12 due to germ issues in my saved seed , and now the 12 production has 14.5% Fusarium in the seed test results !
We have made malt with the majority each year , but each year issues with delivery seem to worsen . With that in mind , and needing new seed again , I am also wondering which barley variety to go with , feed or malt or even if barley should be in the plan .
Linuxfarmer writes a very pertinent post .
I need a crystal ball !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Looking over the Saskatchewan recommended list that Don posted, I'm a little surprised at the different varieties being recommended between there and Manitoba. I too grew Conlon barley with excellent results as long as I was feeding pigs, but have since changed those acres to HRSW. The assumption seems to be that fusarium isn't a big issue for Sask. varieties, but the posts seem to indicate otherwise. We live on an escarpment so we seem to catch the spores with east, west, or south winds so I look for varieties with excellent disease resistance first, even if it means sacrificing some yield. It sounds like Sask growers are facing the same disease pressures we encountered in the mid 80's, and it has changed the way we look at varieties dramatically. Growing 90 bushel yields are irrelevant if you are filling bins with toxic waste.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
This link should take you to the online version of the Seed Manitoba Guide for 2012, if it doesn't work just google the above title.
Seed Manitoba 2012 - AGCanada

I've already got the 2013 version in the mail so it should be getting posted shortly.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Ever hear of haybet barley? Seed comes from MT. Maybe someone N of MT grows some for seed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page