No till hoe drill - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
No till hoe drill

Right now I am running a flexicoil 5000 drill with a 3" paired row tip. I band my fert in the fall then seed in the spring with it. For going through my stubble it does a decent job but have been wanting to lean more toward less tillage. Also I've been trying to come up with a cover crop that I can use and direct seed into with this drill into the spring. I've got concerns that I'll have to many issues with plugging and would end up making a mess.

Thought about a disc drill but I dont think for my environment it would work that well. Started wondering more about no till air drills. What's good and bad about them. I really have no knowledge of any of them so I'm a open book.

A neighbour has a bourgault 3320 which looks like a pretty nice peice of iron. What's the benefits of these vs just my hoe drill with a coulter mounted in front of the shank? Who makes a coutler that I could either shank mount or mount to cut the trash for my drill I have?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Maybe just put some 1" openers on your 5000?

The 3320 will follow the ground better but it requires more than 10 seconds to change the depth and you will be limited on travel speed because no gang packers and the rear rows of openers will throw dirt on the already seeded front rows if you go too fast. As far as trash clearance they are both a shank so it would be a small advantage to the 3320(longer frame length) given similar row spacing and opener width.

What crop residue concerns you most? Can it be managed with a harrow?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm wanting to try put in a cover crop, probably going to be clover maybe with something else. Should be dead matter come spring but dont know how easily itll break down. Was going to try direct seeding into it instead of working it in. Probably take a run at it with heavy harrows first as well. That's where I was wanting something to slice through it a little nicer to leave a decent finish. Going to try it with what I have now but am curious about those machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Just get a 5710 with MRB and put your cover crop down those.

Last edited by jazz; Today at 08:54 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
we run the CaseIH version of the 5000 double shoot and use the Dutch 3" paired row and the fertilizer is placed in the middle 3/4" below the seed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Not concerned about putting the cover down. It's the dead material that I'm concerned about going through the next spring. Just think it's going to wrap around the shanks and plug up. Didnt know if those precision drills were any better for that. Or what's all the hoopla about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in