Center Pivot Operating Costs?!?! - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Barn
Question Center Pivot Operating Costs?!?!

I need some help here. I am looking at renting a piece of land and I am trying to figure out all of the costs before I make any final decisions. There is a quarter mile center pivot on the land that irrigates 120 acres. It is run by a 25 HP pump from an irrigation ditch. I am just wondering what the costs are to run the pivot? What is the electricity cost to send it around one time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Carn the Cats

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
That depends on how much rain you put on. It might do a round in 25 hrs or it may take 40.

The owner of it should tell you and if he wont the power provider will know. If not get the specs (size/amps) for the motor and a good industrial sparky should be able to work it out per/hr.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about annual maintenance costs? In particular, I'm trying to get some details on how often gearboxes are typically need to be repaired or replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
It all depends on how often the pivot has been serviced. If the gearboxes all have oil in them, and no water, they will last the season without issue. If the tires are checked and at the proper inflation they will probably last fine. If a tire does goes flat, by the time you catch it, the tire is already wrecked, and they are rather expensive (at least up here) to replace. On the order of $350 CAD.

We run 18 pivots and we usually have to replace at least 2-3 tires and usually just a couple of gearboxes each year.

With the cost of water and electricity alone, we figure irrigation costs us about $50/ac. Alberta's line transmission charges are out of control up here, which contributes to the cost.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
It all depends on how often the pivot has been serviced. If the gearboxes all have oil in them, and no water, they will last the season without issue. If the tires are checked and at the proper inflation they will probably last fine. If a tire does goes flat, by the time you catch it, the tire is already wrecked, and they are rather expensive (at least up here) to replace. On the order of $350 CAD.

We run 18 pivots and we usually have to replace at least 2-3 tires and usually just a couple of gearboxes each year.

With the cost of water and electricity alone, we figure irrigation costs us about $50/ac. Alberta's line transmission charges are out of control up here, which contributes to the cost.
Thank you torriem for your feedback. Do you ever notice any problems with the seals failing on the gearboxes? I work for a company that makes Teflon seals and thought with the environment that these gearboxes work in they might be better than any rubber seals that are used. So, I'm trying to get some feedback from people that use and depend on these systems to see if the current seals do pose any significant issues. Again, I really appreciate your response.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post

I'm curious as to your power and water sources? Since you're in Alberta, do you come out of the canals or do you also have aquifer you draw from?

Also are your power sources off the provincial grid? At home it was about a 50/50 split for power sources. Off buried three-phase lines from Manitoba Hydro and off gensets, usually with Lister diesels that ran for ever on a tank of fuel. That was a fun summer job travelling around filling gensets every other day..

Selling the parts that keep your TW15 Ford and 4750 Versatile Swather running....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
tomtritec, yes seals fail regularly. Once water gets in, it's only a matter of time before the gearbox seizes up. If the water stayed out, the boxes would run forever I think. What we've found works the best for us is replacing the oil with some really thick flow-able grease. All the major pivot dealers carry this grease around here. Thought it's not cheap!

Our water is canal-fed into ponds, and we pump from ponds. No one in my area pumps out of the ground. We pump entirely on the grid. Some guys still run natural gas pumps. The idea of generating our own power from natural gas is one we're open to, certainly. Around here the transmission line companies (like Fortis) are guaranteed 9% a year ROI, and often the rates go up even more than that each year. That's just transmission fees (fixed rates). Last summer was an expensive summer for pumping costs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:48 AM

Its depend on the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page