SDI?? Sub Surface Irrigation! - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Has anyone ever heard of there being a problem with the drip tape left in the field after the system is taken out of service or needs to be redone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have not, but we have very little around here.
are you looking at a farm that has it and it has been abandoned?
from my experience they tape will be fine, and here comes the BUT, if there have been a lot of rodents in the soil, they do like to chew on the tape, they do make splicers to that you can put in to fix it. my concern would be on the pvc pipe on the flush lines and air valves, the pvc could get brittle.
do you know how long this field has been abandon?

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I don't have experience with the drip tape,but a bit with regular drip. Here all hard water with calcium ,so humeric acid is the cleaner of choose. We had trouble feeding the emitters on the ends from a main line in the middle of the field. Every little critter seem to take pleasure in chewing on plastic drip line.

The vegetable guys been using much more drip tape with the drought years we just had. Most are above ground and removed at the end of the crop. Some have tried to us the tape more than one crop,but most are using new for every planting.

The buried drip system now being installed have putting in a main line on each end of the field and they are connected to form a loop of all the main line.This is to even out the pressure in all parts of the drip tape. It takes someone poisoning or trapping gophers every day to keep the systems working.

There has been Federal cost share programs available in California to put buried drip in. To free up more water to send to the cities.Smile or cry depending if that putts money in your pocket or removes it. Just the Fruits, Nuts, and Snowflakes at work,in a once great state. That is still the largest ag producer in the U S A,despite all that must be endured to farm here.

Last edited by ray54; 08-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM

our Power companies and NRCS are looking into cost sharing programs as well. it will be interesting to see if anything becomes of these water saving programs
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have an SDI system, installed by Eco-Drip from Hastings, NE. Other dealers are Ag Valley Coop and Western Irrigation. Probably others, but these are the ones I am aware of. The tape on mine is 12-15 inches deep on 60 inch spacing, supply lines are about 4 ft down. As noted above filtration is very important. I know of one system that is using canal water. I have been told there are systems that use municipal waste water. I am using fairly clean well water. The quality of the water will determine how often the system needs to be acidized to clean the emitters.

It is very efficient. The pressure at my filters is only about 25 psi. If you have a significant elevation change in your system you will need pressure compensating emitters (more expensive). One other thing to consider is the ability to pump fertilizer through the system. It puts the nitrogen right in the root zone for the plants to take it up.

Fixing leaks requires digging in the mud. It is more expensive than a pivot for a square field, but systems can be designed for irregular shapes without difficulty.

Probably other things that I am forgetting, hope this helps.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:23 PM

Drip tape abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I have not, but we have very little around here.
are you looking at a farm that has it and it has been abandoned?
from my experience they tape will be fine, and here comes the BUT, if there have been a lot of rodents in the soil, they do like to chew on the tape, they do make splicers to that you can put in to fix it. my concern would be on the pvc pipe on the flush lines and air valves, the pvc could get brittle.
do you know how long this field has been abandon?
No, not looking at a farm I am considering trying this on my place "but" I am not sure about it. One of my concerns is if it were to not work out what would the mess be like if I wanted to quite using it, and say a few years down the road I do some deep tillage, for example. I am not saying this is what will happen but I am trying to ask all the stupid questions before I do something stupid.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:29 PM

Plugged Emitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dilbert View Post
As noted above filtration is very important. I know of one system that is using canal water. I have been told there are systems that use municipal waste water. I am using fairly clean well water. The quality of the water will determine how often the system needs to be acidized to clean the emitters.
I am considering using surface water for this, so I am concerned about the water quality. Has anyone noticed an affect on soil PH from running this acid through the system to clean it?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Surface water needs better filtration I think. You should ask the companies that design and install systems. Ask more than one, they will probably give somewhat different answers. As far as changing the pH of the soil I have not heard of any issues. I have not acidized my system yet, so have no personal experience.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up

Farmer Dilbert, I hope you don't mind I do have some questions for you. As we are just getting started with subsurface drip here. Do you have any other form of Irrigation and how does it compare yield wise? I figure with 60in spacing on you tape, you are raising corn and soybeans. Have you raised any wheat on that ground. just wondering how it waters and yield differences. And of course how far apart are your emitters, and gph on your emitters, and what filtation are you using on your well water. And I assume you are no till or min till, I have one customer who want to mold board plow 12in deep, not sure yet on what to do there. With sugar beets and potatoes being the big cash crop around here, every one is still doing conventional tillage and with the different row spacing of the crop it is going to be tough to figure out a good spacing. Oh, one more question what brand of tape do you have in the ground, Netafim, toro, or t-tape?
I think that is it for the questions at this moment
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Trash in field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseb99 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of there being a problem with the drip tape left in the field after the system is taken out of service or needs to be redone?
I never heard from anyone on this so maybe it is not an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page