Irrigating out of a 300 acre body of water - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Irrigating out of a 300 acre body of water

Ok so we have just purchased a half section of land up against a body of water covering approximately 300 acres. We have another 1/4 that is also up against this body of water. We have approximately 160 acres under water. I should mention that this "slough" was dry from 1988 till 2004 or 05. We grew some great crops on this land through those years, in 02 it was the only field we combined. Anyway I am wondering if anyone else has done any irrigation out of similar sort of body of water? An irrigation equipment company has claimed that they have set up similar irrigation projects in eastern Saskatchewan. We have 200 acres we could irrigate easily and another 100 could be done with some cat work. I do know one guy that did a similar sort of thing 30 plus years ago and from what I heard the body of water was sucked dry in two years. With the price land now that wouldn't be so bad either. I know zero about irrigating. Am I crazy to be thinking this might be feasable? Any thoughts? I am in NW sask

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I have a similar set up. Works well in a dryer year. In a wetter year it just makes the plants sick/diseased and reduces yield.

How do you plan to suck from the deepest part? I buried pipe to the outside and put in a small 3' culvert down to supply pipe.

Make sure you choose a fuel source that doesn't cost much in the years you don't use it.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil burgs View Post
Ok so we have just purchased a half section of land up against a body of water covering approximately 300 acres. We have another 1/4 that is also up against this body of water. We have approximately 160 acres under water. I should mention that this "slough" was dry from 1988 till 2004 or 05. We grew some great crops on this land through those years, in 02 it was the only field we combined. Anyway I am wondering if anyone else has done any irrigation out of similar sort of body of water? An irrigation equipment company has claimed that they have set up similar irrigation projects in eastern Saskatchewan. We have 200 acres we could irrigate easily and another 100 could be done with some cat work. I do know one guy that did a similar sort of thing 30 plus years ago and from what I heard the body of water was sucked dry in two years. With the price land now that wouldn't be so bad either. I know zero about irrigating. Am I crazy to be thinking this might be feasable? Any thoughts? I am in NW sask
Is the land you intend to water have any sand in the profile or drain good? Guys north of lloydminster irrigated the waste water from the city for years. They might still do. Most of that land is sandy and can stand that amount of water. Any kind of clay and poorish drainage is a recipe for disaster in a cold summer. Pm me and I'll give you a name or two if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I have a similar set up. Works well in a dryer year. In a wetter year it just makes the plants sick/diseased and reduces yield.
f
How do you plan to suck from the deepest part? I buried pipe to the outside and put in a small 3' culvert down to supply pipe.

Make sure you choose a fuel source that doesn't cost much in the years you don't use it.
There Is a dugout on the edge of the body of water. I have not thought of a fuel source, I was thinking diesel.
goodoo likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Why is there a bomb going off in my quote? Lol
kevlar likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
Is the land you intend to water have any sand in the profile or drain good? Guys north of lloydminster irrigated the waste water from the city for years. They might still do. Most of that land is sandy and can stand that amount of water. Any kind of clay and poorish drainage is a recipe for disaster in a cold summer. Pm me and I'll give you a name or two if interested.
It's on heavier land with good drainage.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil burgs View Post
It's on heavier land with good drainage.
I'm I heavy ground. Know of one farmer that irrigated some land late 80's? Turned it on once since new. Do you loose much yield to lack of water or loose more yield from too much water? Might have money better spent elsewhere if you chasing only a few bushels. What's your annual rainfall/crops?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Do you have water rights for it? I think if you own every area surrounding it you still need water rights to irrigate out of it.
Blue Oval Man and lissa like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Do you have water rights for it? I think if you own every area surrounding it you still need water rights to irrigate out of it.
This was one of my main questions, no we don't own all the land this water is touching. Who would I contact to find out if I can even use this water?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morb1lee View Post
I'm I heavy ground. Know of one farmer that irrigated some land late 80's? Turned it on once since new. Do you loose much yield to lack of water or loose more yield from too much water? Might have money better spent elsewhere if you chasing only a few bushels. What's your annual rainfall/crops?
I would say we lose more yield to lack of moisture then to much. But the last few years it has been minimal. We grow wheat, canola, peas, and barley. I would not be opposed to putting alfalfa in, it can use a lot more water then an annual crop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page