2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron.Koster
  • 1 Post By KBF

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Question Pivot Tire Ruts

What are some good remedies for deep ruts that bog down a pivot after 3 or 4 passes??? I've placed directional sprinklers facing away from the towers, larger tires on the towers that travel in the "rotten" tracks and plugged off the water drains that would open directly over the tires once the pivot stopped ( or got stuck). I've tried dumping dry lime in the ruts (worked pretty good once it was wet and hardened) and plan to try straw bales in some deep ruts.....conditions are really bad this year due to the extremely high water table due to the flooding river that's 6 miles North, 7.5 miles East and approximately 12 miles South of this irrigation system....its been stuck 3 times already while just trying to move it (dry) out of the planter's way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Throw bags of volcanic rock in bad spots ? or get some Mud Lugs they work well on stuck towers . All of my systems have 11.2x38 tires and ruts get so deep that towers will hang up in certain circles . Then I put in extensions at the pivot to move them out of the deep ruts areal pita .

The most dangerous liars are those who think they are telling the truth .............The naked truth is better than any best dressed lie .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Sounds like you might need some raaft tracks. Except that you can't install them after you already have pivot ruts formed.

In my experience wide pivot tires just make bigger ruts. I wonder if flax straw would work in the bottom of ruts.

Some people around here extend the sprinklers way out behind the tower so that the tower is always driving on dry ground. Not sure that would help you because your ground isn't dry to begin with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Could maybe give these a try, got a set of copy cats out of a colony from cluny alberta and will see how they perform for us this season getting through low spots.

https://www.superhay.net/irrigationwheels.html
torriem likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:08 PM
KBF

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I know people have used flax with good success in our area. Maybe some flax,dirt,flax layers could work. We used flax in our corrals in a very boggy high traffic area with good results.
torriem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page