• 1 Post By WilgerIndustries

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Combo-Jet Spray Tips Overview

To give a little bit of information about our spray tips, for those looking for spray tips, or to familiarize yourself with what you have on your sprayer.

All Combo-Jet spray tips are made either in Saskatoon, SK, Canada or Lexington, TN, USA.

What makes Combo-Jet Spray Tips Special?

Originally, when they were developed, they were the only 'all-in-one' spray tips; meaning, the strainer, tip, cap and o-ring seal all snapped into one piece. In short, this meant they handled as one piece, making handling safer and making them easier to clean.

The strainer was also ~40% longer than most other strainers, so they had less chance to plug.

A huge benefit for the spray tips now, is their ability to work with any broadcast spray systems out there. Namely, the Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) or Blended Pulse Width spray systems; whereas, air induced spray tips don't work at all (or not very well in real life circumstances).

So, they are a pretty universal drift reduction spray tip.

What is the big difference between spray tip series like the ER / SR / MR / DR / UR?

If you are somewhat familiar with Combo-Jet Spray Tips, you might know for each flow rate, there are 5 series of spray tips.

The 5 series change the spray quality, and sometimes more importantly, the level of drift that would come out of a spray tip.

Even though the Combo-Jet spray tips do not use air induction, they have a similar overall result, making it possible to reduce drift up upwards of 90%+ (if not more with the UR series).

Notably, as Combo-Jet tips use a different technology/engineering to achieve lower drift levels, they can consistently be used at lower operating pressures than most air induced spray tips as well, meaning you have more consistent swath and droplet deposition at lower pressures. Since they do not have air-ports to plug up, they will typically not plug up as much as well.

<Example set of Tip Charts for 80° and 110° Spray Tips>

Since every farm's sprayer is traveling different speeds, with different levels of drift sensitivities based on each crop, environment, or chemicals used, there is a huge demand for a nozzle that is tailored to a farm's conditions.

To make it a little more visual, think of the different series as a sliding scale of droplet size. As you go coarser through the series, you will dramatically reduce drift (still at the cost of some coverage). There are definitely some 'sweet spots' within the spray tips series that lend themselves well to certain flow rates, but I see what would be a 'favorite' spray tip in Western Canada being very different from eastern Canada, and very different yet from what would be used for the same application in the US.

How long do the spray tips last?

I only wrote this part on here because it is one of the most common questions I get asked. Its a tough question to answer, as the main proponent on nozzle wear is the pressures you are spraying at, but more importantly, the quality of water (and chemical) you are putting through it.

Overall, our spray tips are at the top of the industry for flat fan spray tips. With a flat fan tip, stainless steel can perform the best, even surpassing ceramic (which does a better job for other spray tip types like cone tips). Our tips are highly regarded in the industry for their wear life.

So, there isn't really a 'real-life' nozzle wear rate, as it differs SO MUCH. The answer to the question of 'how long do they last' is unfortunately "Check and calibrate them" to make sure they are still good. There are a handful of electronic calibrators that can be used to make it a lot easier, otherwise, you can use a stop watch and graduated container to get your flow rate in us gallons/minute. From that, you'd compare it to the flow rate that the tip SHOULD be putting out. If it is greater than 10% out from the flow that it should be putting out, replace it.

Also, if you notice the pattern is not consistent, that would also be grounds to clean it (if plugged) and replace it if it doesn't fix the pattern.

One last thing I will mention, is that the pattern is not necessarily the deciding factor in nozzle replacement. Often, tips can wear evenly, to which the pattern will still look 'clean', but the flow could vary a great deal from the nozzles beside it.

As an example of this, I'll refer to a little video from Teejet (yes, they are a competitor to Wilger, but they did a good job, which deserves props) in quickly demonstrating that spray pattern doesn't always determine if spray tips need replacing.

Seems like there are too many spray tip options out there?
Wilger developed a spray tip calculator that takes actual spray application requirements (including droplet size to tailor it to a specific chem), and will provide a few actionable spray tips that would work for it.

Very often there is a single tip that ends up being the 'perfect' tip for a certain application, so even though there are 5 listed in the results, you can choose the one that best fits your operation fairly quickly.

Don't get me wrong, if you aren't familiar with using Tip Wizard, it might be a bit too much information, but trust me when I tell you it'll help you understand a lot more of what is happening once that spray leaves the tip.

As a reminder, Tip Wizard is based using water in controlled conditions, so it is an excellent baseline of what happens to the spray once it leaves the tip, but it can't take into account differing levels of wind conditions, chemical spray qualities (e.g. evaporation), or other environmental conditions that will effect spray.

Tip Wizard is available as a free smartphone app on your app store (GOOGLE PLAY APPLE AMAZON). It is also available for viewing online as a web app at www.wilger.net/tip-wizard )

All in all, the same information as is in Tip Wizard is available in our spray tip charts, but it is a LOT easier to filter through the information, or generate a custom set of charts (if you have alternate nozzle spacing, use different application units, etc.) based on your specific application.

So, if you do have any questions about the spray tips themselves, by all means ask away. From my experience, spray tips are one of the most important parts of the spray (I "might" be a little biased), so it is crucial to understand what tips you are using, and why.

BrianTee likes this.

Better Engineered Sprayer Parts for Over 35 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I love both sets of my DRs. The DR110-04 handled dicamba no problem also (I spray very slow compared to most). I use that app probably once a week too since im always changing my application speed or droplet size. Good stuff.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Barn
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, Tip Wizard can definitely be overwhelming at first, but it can be one of the cheapest (as it is free) way to create value in how you are spraying.

It is especially useful when you are wanting to adjust your spraying for different conditions by changing pressures/operating speeds/etc like you are.

Good to hear. Thanks again.

Better Engineered Sprayer Parts for Over 35 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page