Collecting chaff and straw for field grazing - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Collecting chaff and straw for field grazing

Anyone use a whole buncher or other such contraption on their combine to make small piles for field grazing. I would love to see some pictures and hear your advice about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Roy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over here some farmers use these chaff carts to collect the weed seeds exiting their harvesters. It is mainly used as another non-herbicide method of reducing the weed seedbank, particularly where herbicide resistant ryegrass is a problem, but also other weeds. Sometimes these chaff dumps are grazed by livestock around here, but mostly they are burnt to eliminate the weed seeds.
Riteway Farming Australia - Chaff Cart

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Been a few stories on the Prairie Farm Report about it, I remember the one place pulled a Jiffy Hydump behind the combine. Something that lost favor in the days of no till farming it seems. Guess the ultimate one was the McLeod Harvest system. Should be lots of those chaff blowers and wagons around in your part of the country if you go dig around some of the old places that no longer run cows. They weren't very common around here, mostly just the blowers and chaff cyclones on the back of the combine to put it into the straw.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
We use to have a chaff collector on our 6601 and 7721 in the day pulled a dump wagon behind the combine when full would trip it then had a MaKee forage harvester that we would pick up the straw rows and piles as we went along. Also would load just chaff at times by loading straw first on the floor then chaff ontop we would line up the big loaves in the cattle yard and feed with a electric fence in the winter moving it back a bit every day. Dad would also leave the chaff piles in the field and the cows would feed out there once we had enough in the yard.

Last edited by Duane H; 11-15-2013 at 01:13 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
One of my neighbors does it, leaves lots of small piles every ~100 feet, he's had good success, prefers it to pulling a chaff wagon which he had done previous. An old fella by Vermilion used a chaff wagon for years and years, I've never spoken to him about it, but there are no more chaff piles where their used to be so he may be out of cattle or found a system he liked better. For a while we had a blower and a cyclone on the back of the combines to leave the chaff on top of the straw swath, baler picked it up. Cheap and easy way to increase the feed value of straw, but that's not what you're asking. Sorry don't have any pics or specs on the neighbors machine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
My understanding is that you have to be kind of careful to not make the piles too big, it creates trouble during seeding, pretty sure the neighbor uses a blower in conjunction with his straw chopper, collects all of it, sounds like what you're describing.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

We had a blower and cyclone on our 9600 when we bought it. Made great straw bales but the blower was wore out and started giving trouble so I took it off. We used to drop straw in windrows and let the cows pick on it but it could be a hassle to clean up the following spring. The little piles every so many feet looks like a good idea. I did some reading and found out the whole buncher costs 4500 bucks. Have to get out and see cows grazing these piles to get some perspective before I make any decisions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I have a cyclone from crary not wore out I would sell it cheap I wanna go back to a chaff spreader because the chaff saver is a pain in the ass switching back and forth and in flax it plugs easy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred123 View Post
I have a cyclone from crary not wore out I would sell it cheap I wanna go back to a chaff spreader because the chaff saver is a pain in the ass switching back and forth and in flax it plugs easy
We took ours off for that reason too. Burned too many belts and was starting to affect our mental health. Good when it worked.
We knew a guy who chopped and dropped in the swath. He somehow turned the chopper fins down so it would blow on the ground. I wonder if it would work on a buncher?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On our place we pull a old foster wagon behind a 1682 to make bunches for our cows. We have a spout off the redekop chopper and it blows it all into the wagon. We experimented with a old stackhand 10 picking up straw rows dropped by our cr9070 this year too. Added another job but it seemed to work not to badly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page