Solar winter water systems - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Solar winter water systems

Has anyone tried the winter cattle watering systems like the cap solar or kellnsolar? We winter our cattle till january on a quarter with just a dugout and I am tired of the chopping and worries of falling through the ice... has happend a few times. Not to mention it wrecks the dugout with the manure on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
There wouldn't be enough drop to rig up a gravity system by chance. I guess that's one advantage to being in the hills. I have no experience with solar.

I'm thinking there's still some funding under Growing Forward yet? I have approvals for some water systems from this spring that I will be completing in the next couple weeks.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Nope... shes flat as can be. I havent either... just from what I have seen on videos and reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
I have not experimented with solar. I have used a propane trough heater that hangs on a stand I made for on the ice. It's interesting and okay, but I just don't like using it when the ice gets thicker and you have to move to deeper water.

This doesn't solve all of the problems you mentioned, but it sure takes the hard work out of it. This is a gasoline powered drill with a 2 inch bit and an extension. It's a Stihl brand tool. The hockey puck on the shaft is in case the bit pulls the extension out of the chuck when you break through. You just have to draw the bit up every 2 to 4 inches to clean out the cuttings so it doesn't pull too hard on the chuck.

I usually just chisel a trough using a T handled bar on the surface of the ice and drill one or two holes in the bottom. There is no danger of anything losing its life from slipping a leg down the hole.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 921 Post(s)
I don't have any hands on experience with solar systems designed for winter use, however I have certainly pushed to the limits use of one of my regular solar pumping setups. More than once have chopped two inches of ice out of a trough well into December. That particular setup is two 700 gallon troughs hooked together and supplied by a floating 12v pump, but the supply line is setup so it completely drains back into the dugout each time pump kicks out, even all summer. Line between fence and troughs runs inside a length of 2 7/8 tubing to protect the 1 1/2 plastic. For use in extended cold temps, like Nov and Dec, first you rig your float power cable thru a switch so you control pump operation manually, usually you're feeding some by now, most often pumping during the time spent tearing a a few bales apart is sufficient for the day. I also tie a few straw bales together and lay them on the bank of dugout, covering the outlet hose right above the water line. This keeps the line from freezing at the ice level. The crossover line is buried under several inches of dirt between the two troughs, but eventually will freeze, and then I simply turn the outlet into each trough and fill it independently. You need to monitor the ice thickness on dugout as I found from experience, its easier to keep your pump halfassed chopped free to facilitate removal when its time to shut the system down for winter. Be sure your wires are secured to your water line. Oh and I forgot, once ice begins to set up on dugout, remove your tether line. I've pumped well into winter for upto 150 pair in this manner, not the greatest, but one can get by. I have often thought of putting a heater in the trough, then it could run automatic as the float wouldn't freeze, but just have never got there yet.

As for the proper systems, two are in the works, just haven't had time to complete them. One is going to be a gravity system as Dan is speaking of, and the other much like the first example in the attached link. I have seen both systems in operation and they are slick setups. I have my own hoe and such, so no biggie to take on such projects, cost isn't much of an issue that way, I just don't have time to get the dam things done is all. To hire stuff out, then it could get costly. And you can get double duty from your pumps if you use them in summer as well.

Anything that keeps them out of the dugout is good in my books. And while I have never had a wreck on ice myself, I've certainly heard of them, and no one needs that

Link on various systems
http://www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebeef/frgebeef.nsf/all/ccf154/$FILE/remotewinterwater.pdf

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I water our bulls with a solar system all winter. There are only 15 bulls at the most. Water has a lot of "heat" in it. The more animals you water the less trouble with freezing you will have. I water them out of a well so the water is warmer than a dugout. I use an old uke tire that I have put an insulated cover over with a drink tube in it. I have a small shed ( kinda like an injection well shack) over the well and the other half of the tire. I use a dual line fish bubbler with silicone hoses, one line bubbles air under float switch the other bubbles in the drink tube. I run it with a cheap inverter from Canadian Tire. To do this in a dugout we install a wet well beside the dugout. If you want more info send a pm with your ph # and I can describe things better and send you some pictures. I've been watering our bulls for quite a few years. I still check it frequently. You have to scrape frost off of panels the odd time. I recommend a wind charger too. Some days we don't have much sun or little sun in the winter.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
crtoney do you use dual lines on everything lmao
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmin cowboy View Post
crtoney do you use dual lines on everything lmao
You bet whatever it takes to get the job done. The pot shall be stirred....
chance2 likes this.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
What about a wet well and a frost free nose pump?

Livestock Water Pump - No Power Required - Frostfree Nosepumps
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
there are a few frostfree nosepumps around here, they seem to work good. calves might take some time to catch on. my avatar works best for me, i drilled down 450 feet of two inch oil field pipe, and hit an artesian well, water comes out at twenty gallons a minute, and there is 52 psi, kinda think that well is worth more then the quarter it sits on.

chance2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page