Cows on snowed on wheat - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Cows on snowed on wheat

Anyone done this? Concerned beards might be potential prob same as barley, are wheat beards softer when damp? Bale it wet try to silage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Be careful with wheat. We have fed to high a wheat diet and have had the cows burn out and cause a thiamine deficiency in them, and that caused some very bad things to happen.
Just be sure to more than just the wheat in their ration.

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by V876; 10-20-2016 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I baked durum this time of year last year.. Cows loved it. Fed them 2 durum bales & 4 alfalfa/crested wheat. No problem with the beards, although we fed through a bale processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmark View Post
Anyone done this? Concerned beards might be potential prob same as barley, are wheat beards softer when damp? Bale it wet try to silage?
If you make silage, does it not have to be warm and wet? I was curious about that and asked a neighbour who bags grain. He says grain sometimes comes out of bag with a sweet smell!

If you bag grain at high moisture, why doesn't it turn into silage? I am thinking if it goes into the bag cold, it can't as it needs heat to start the reaction? Lots of people bag grain at 18% moisture? What keeps it from turning into a sweet mess?

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post
If you make silage, does it not have to be warm and wet? I was curious about that and asked a neighbour who bags grain. He says grain sometimes comes out of bag with a sweet smell!

If you bag grain at high moisture, why doesn't it turn into silage? I am thinking if it goes into the bag cold, it can't as it needs heat to start the reaction? Lots of people bag grain at 18% moisture? What keeps it from turning into a sweet mess?
I've bagged a lot of wheat at 20 to 22% and it stays the same unless you get holes in it then it starts heating, but I've never had a whole bag spoil just a small area by the holes
RunninREDharD likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
In early 90s we turned cows in standing wheat that had froze. Nothing would come in the combine hopper but the cows did great.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

No oxygen
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Our nutritionist and I were just talking about this kind of thing last week, specifically about corn silage, but I bet the principles still apply

His experience has been that when clients put up "frozen" corn silage (wait for a frost to get it to dry down a bit, but it stays cold so it gets chopped cold instead of warm) it doesn't actually start ensiling for quite a while. It won't necessarily spoil either, depending on the outside temps, but if you are banking on the ensiling process to make the grain more easily absorbed and the fibre more digestible, then that won't happen. It basically feeds like fresh chop

The way you store it would likely influence this a bit as well. A tower or bag of silage would likely freeze and stay inert a lot quicker than a big bunker or pit, might see some microbial activity start at the centres in those scenarios?
RunninREDharD likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
if you get a chance to swath that wheat and leave it in a windrow for the cows I would...... then when they grab a mouthful out of the swath they get a bunch of straw with it too (not just selectively grazing the heads)

if I am baling for green feed I usually go just when the kernel is starting to form so no risk of grain overload but I have baled up mature slough bottoms and such in the past and never had trouble feeding to old cows. I am told to keep replacement heifers far away from high energy grain like wheat though. apparently it can cause bad feet farther down the road.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks everyone, just throwing ideas around better than burning it. Would free choice hay to them also, wanted to bale graze on that field anyway (after taking the grain off but Mother Nature had other ideas). Not sure could get swather to field let alone around it. Prob put couple horses there too if the snow stays deep. We are supposed to have couple weeks of warmerish weather ideally would melt snow then freeze solid but who knows.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page