• 3 Post By jvw
  • 1 Post By Snapper22
  • 2 Post By Snapper22

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Question about cattle sorting corrals. Ozzies welcome too

I'd like to redo my cattle working setup. Want to make it so I can sort and work cows alone if necessary. Probably do a bud box rig up for running them up the chute but where I'm hung up on is the gathering and sorting setup. I've looked at a bunch of the Temple Grandin designs and even had a good sit down chat with her (very interesting person), and have looked at Australian drafting pound designs. I'm kinda interested in the circular sorting pound but wonder how big I go before it's too big for one man or am I better with an alley instead?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
You know, we have about two hundred portable panels we've built over the years. What we do now is take them to the field and set them up in the pattern we choose depending on the operation,time of year etc. It's interesting the different ways that work and don't work very well. Stuff like trying to load calves into liners toward the sun in the late afternoon during late fall can be a pain, we just pickup panels and loading ramps and move them around to the other side for instance. Another thing is as the herd gets smaller you can disconnect two panels and use a loader to pull the circle tighter, figured that out a few years back. Another advantage is you take the corals to the cows instead of the other way around, way less stress on the herd . Also when you're done you pack up your corals and store them, you don't lose acres of land to weeds.
Another advantage is they can be setup anywhere, if you get pasture land from a neighbor or clear across the country, no problem, load the panels and loader on another truck and you're off.
Some thoughts on what we do here now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why is there never time and money to do it correctly but there's always plenty to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
This spring I built my handling corrals out of mainly portable panels. I wanted them portable just in case something didn't work. I also took a lot of advice from my sister. She's a vet and runs a large ranch with her husband. Working on horseback 14-16ft alleys. Working on foot 12 ft alley. I put in several walk through gates so that no one would climb a fence. Horse latches on a lot of gates. I can sort 3 ways coming out of my squeeze. Some people don't understand a Budd box. Arrow makes a budd flow tub that works really well..

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
We're going through the same thing right now. And I like the looks of the circular sorting design but never worked with one let alone seen one.

CRToney I'm wanting to do the same thing and have a 3 way sort off the squeeze. Can you return those pens back to your sort pens to fill them back up as you process the sort pens?

Dan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Crtoney the Bud Flow tub is something that interests me. Personally I'd make it a 14' instead of 10' as shown in the video and the tub see through except for the gate. The feeder alley have it 12'. Then the cows are more apt to enter willingly going into a wider tub. I like the bud box but the guy running one needs to know what they're doing so a tub is a bit more greenhorn proof. This tub is a compromise of the two.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I have a tub and a curved U alley to the squeeze. There are 2 12 ft wide narrow pens and one larger pen that has a watering bowl in it. I have only used my setup this spring. I'll know better how it works after preg checking and weaning. Someday I might setup my sort gates on a rope and pulley system but for now you have to open them by walking to the gate. I want to work cattle with just a few people.

I was always interested in circular corral setups but never could take the time to plan and set it all up.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 PM
jvw

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Probably not building any more corrals or handling facilities here. But if I did, I would start with the plan that it is all temporary and portable. Due to mud, snow drifts, mud, cleaning corrals, mud, expansion, mud, change of plan, mud, enriching soil in more than the one place forever, mud, and most importantly, mud. Not sure that helps much though.
offroadnt, NVW and Snapper22 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

All my stuff won't have a post in the ground nor any wood. Got started building a double load chute all out of 3 1/2" pipe and plate. Current runway is all self standing pipe and plate. Have bought and built a number of freestanding panels too. Lumber is junk now unless it's treated and that's expensive.
offroadnt likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Snapper22

I'm assuming you have these corrals setup now. Willing to share your results, what you would change and also keep the same.

Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

I’m back after a 2 year hiatus. Finally figured out how to log in again. Anyway, got my loading chute built and all set up. Works great for what I’m doing. Have a long curved alley culminating in a 24’ long bud box. Loading chute off one side and runway and squeeze off other side. Lots of recycled steel went into the deal so far. Just my time and welding rods. I’ll post pictures when I get a chance.

adsinaus and Lowmark like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in