Frost free cattle water - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frost free cattle water

Looking for ideas on cattle water that requires no electricity. Currently we use Richie fountains with elements and heat tape, but I'm unable to bring in electricity to two new winter fountains. Pressurized water from local municipality is water source, just looking for ideas to keep fountain open in winter as temps reach -30f. Have read about a product called thermo-sink, and nose pumps. Anybody in the cold temps out there, how is it best done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Year Round Watering Systems - Cap Solar Products
Try this. Not sure where you are located but they are in Olds Alberta

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
I'm installing one of these right now http://kellnsolar.com/+pub/products/...ng-2015-16.pdf . Mine is the well version and pulling from a dugout but if you look at the brochure there is a pressure line version of doing it. It's kind of a shame wasting the water pressure like that but it might be a reliable system. I was thinking if I were to build a system like that I would drop the batteries down the well a bit to keep them warmer and out of the elements.

Anything that holds water above ground will probably freeze without energy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why is there never time and money to do it correctly but there's always plenty to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Have some relatives that just installed a nose pump and so far they are happy with it. Said it took a few days for the cattle to learn how to work it.

Brent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Brother inlaw has a couple thermosinks and he really likes them. I have a CAP solar capsule I use off a dugout works good to. The trick to energy free waterers is numbers you need a lot animals drinking out of them to keep the water circulating.

Last edited by Bar D; 01-04-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar D View Post
Brother inlaw has a couple thermosinks and he really likes them. I have a CAP solar capsule I use off a dugout works good to. The drink to energy free waterers is numbers you need a lot animals drinking out of them to keep the water circulating.
X2
As long as there is lots of animals drinking out of them they work great.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This isnt my idea but i know it works as i watched it all winter. Works great for winter watering where it stays cold not sure if it would work for chinook belt areas. It is used NE of Athabasca.
Take a buggy/scraper tire and set a post in the middle, in this case a salvaged 10/12' was used. When it starts to freeze put some water in the bottom let it freeze, think flooding a rink, each day build up the ice in the bottom until you have around a 6" base. Fill her right up let your stock in. You will have to break some ice each day of course and when she dips to -20 for prolonged periods its best to keep just one area open.
For the water fill line a ordinary garden hose was used from a hydrant in the barn. It was hung up the barn wall across to the tire on a downward slope and afixed to the post inthe center. Make sure you dont have any low spots in the hose. After each filling drain the hose by blowing on the end. A real KISS system for the winter that can be made perminate year round with a cement bottom in the tire.
Hillbillyreefer likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crw View Post
Year Round Watering Systems - Cap Solar Products
Try this. Not sure where you are located but they are in Olds Alberta
My neighbor has been running one similar to that for close to 20yrs(Mirafount IIRC) it’s been mostly trouble free. He had to change the valve this year, minor.

Lots of the big tire waterers around here, they work great if there will be cattle drinking from them from freeze up through spring. Some days they require a bit of chopping, like when it’s below -30C.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
We used to have mirafounts but they all froze at one point or another. With any waterer either a Ritchie or mirafount a large heat well pipe underneath is key. As big as will fit also good and deep.
Hillbillyreefer likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I use a 6 ft uke tire with 3 smaller mining tires underneath as my culvert. I have an insulated shroud covering my valve. My valve never freezes. Even after 2 days with no cows drinking and 6" of ice on the outside. I check my water everyday. When it -20 to -30 I sometimes have to remove a bit of ice. No power. It's protected from the wind. Inexpensive solution that works well for me.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page