Really Hairy Calves = Bad Winter Coming??? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Barn
The dog sure has been getting a thick coat.

Hopefully get a couple elk to put in the freezer pretty soon, interested to see what the spleen looks like.

The weathermen say El nino is building and is supposed to make a warm dry winter for us in the northern part of the continent, but as said, the animals are saying otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.

Last edited by 1972RedNeck; 11-08-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
And I believe the animals over the weatherman.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Sounds like a mail order bride with a heavy accent and a bikini line ending at her ankles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Well wasn't my intentions but I see a play on words turned into a good laugh lol.
I haven't really been out and around this fall, so was genuinely wondering if others were seeing the same with the excessive hair growth on the animals, as I am like others stated, I do put belief into animals being able to predict things better than us, be it a storm in summer or a cold winter around the corner.
What is strange that it is only the young ones, even my yearlings look normal, but then we did see several nites in a row of minus 10 to 20C quite early, guess thats natures way of looking out for the young and inexperienced.
Anyone have muskrats? How big are the huts this year? I know the local beavers were busy this summer.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Can't comment on calfs, but a couple things regarding animals that i never seen before:
Cleaning up sloughs to burn off/work down cat tails and i see mole hills all around the edges, usually in the edge of the cat tails. Burrowing animals usually dig in higher ground. I guess the cover of the cat tails and the loose dry ground (no wet sloughs anywhere) are an attraction. So probably they are there more because of dryness allows it.

Other thing is a never seen a bald eagle around the farm in my life. Only north of La Ronge, sk. Saw one about 2 weeks ago in a tree. What the helll is that doing in this area. Two days later i saw 5 sitting in a field 300 yards from where i was working. Took a picture but pretty blurry but can see the white heads. Turns out they migrate. Very odd to suddenly notice them in this part of the world.

They seem to move around over time. Was never one seen in this area until around 15 years ago or so, now almost as common as hawks. I often wonder if different farming practices play a big role in the number of species and the seemingly new species in an area. A lot less tillage and safer chemicals has allowed ground nesting birds such as kill deer to really rise in numbers, less people killing animals just for a rug or feathers etc.

Wish I had a camera a few years ago while seeding, all sitting on one branch of a tree was a raven, a Bald Eagle, and an American Eagle! There was a lot of weight on that branch! Was funny to see them all together, thought they would have been fighting.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Huts are huge this year, almost swear it is a beaver. I have a few in the back 40, biggest I have seen in the last 10 or more years. Not sure what it means since I have heard all sorts of explanations.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Big Harry beaver.......sorry bit of topic

Considering we have already got a foot of snow that came and gone. It could be a real ugly one

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
I think there are things to be learned by watching the animals so an interesting thread to open. The eagles i saw may be related to shortage of sloughs (basically none around, only dug outs have water) which changes other animal patterns and eagles react accordingly. I really never saw any geese moving this fall, again water related perhaps.

Last year was a long cold winter for those that forgot. Instead of 1 or 2 cold snaps of 7 days we had at least 3 with some of those pushing +14 days. Much like this fall where we were not only 3 or 4 days below normal but two weeks at a time. The present one already at 9 days and going. By 'below normals' i mean 8-10 deg, not 3.
Back in the times of our great grandfathers it is said the natives knew how cold a winter would be based on how high the white man made his wood pile. I wonder if that is true.

I will be surprised if this is an el nino year like Environmental Canada says. Will know in April.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
no geese in your area is because they were chowing down on 10000 acres of cereals out here just had to sweep the snow off and were too fat to fly. Saw a flock moving yesterday guess most of crop got off finally.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Muskrat Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Huts are huge this year, almost swear it is a beaver. I have a few in the back 40, biggest I have seen in the last 10 or more years. Not sure what it means since I have heard all sorts of explanations.
Well Mary the muskrat says "Mike did you see how big Martha's hubby Mark is building their hut? You'd better get building." Then a couple days later Margie says "Monte did you see how big Mary and Mike's hut is getting? You'd better get building ". And the next day or so Martha says "Mark, I thought you said we were going to have the biggest hut in this marsh!" ....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page