Really Hairy Calves = Bad Winter Coming??? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Huts are huge this year, almost swear it is a beaver. I have a few in the back 40, biggest I have seen in the last 10 or more years. Not sure what it means since I have heard all sorts of explanations.
That says long and cold, same with higher beaver dams, its how they ensure they keep warm and minimize frost penetration into the den.
Time to batten down the hatches I'm afraid, I suspect the show is about to start lol.
One thing I am tired of is the stupid swings in temps, went from inches of mud to -20C and change within a few days. So much for hauling any manure, now just trying to pile up what I can in certain areas to make thing as good as possible. Trouble was, after it got so cold, had to bring everyone home for water...now everywhere they walked is froze solid, but beside it is still slop and mud under the snow, what a PITA trying to push with the wheel loader. I run chains so half the time either the bucket is sliding on top or I'm spinning down to China in the clay.
Pounded some posts yesterday and noticed immediately how easy they go in the first two feet in clay. Now after pushing **** all day I know why, top couple feet is completely saturated. Won't be doing any Cat work this winter again either, once things freeze up, its gonna be like concrete a few feet thick. Had same last winter, you couldn't roll out a stump by Christmas if you tried, you simply sheared them off instead.

Least I got lots of stuff I can do in the shop between chores, and backed off calving till April this year after that shitstorm of weather we had this spring, so as I said couple weeks back when I was done with harvest I'll still stand by it, bring it on bitches lol

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Big Harry beaver.......sorry bit of topic

Considering we have already got a foot of snow that came and gone. It could be a real ugly one
Well this went from hairy legs to hairy beavers, might as well bring out the hairy nipples after Albertabuck above post. Might need all the warmth a guy can get . As far as the huts, that is one of the most common stories I have heard and it does stand to reason.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Hey albertabuck, a little off topic, but have you ever had a chance to put down flax straw on the clay in high traffic areas, like in front of feed bunks? Actually makes a pretty big difference, keeps the manure separate from the clay layer and peels out with great separation when you need to remove it. That manure layer will benefit from a few months of piling and rotting before spreading, no denying that, but the feeding season will go very well and the corrals will last way longer before rebuilding is required.

Yeah, we keep telling ourselves that someday we will rebuild the corral feed bunks in concrete with scrape alleys, but I guess someday hasn't happened yet...
Beerwiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page