Fenceline feed bunks - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
I have been thinking the same thing LittleMountain. Its going to be tight on hay this year. Last time this happened I had my dad to help so I am thinking the best way of doing it this time around. I have a feeling I will end up grinding about 60 bales at a shot, 50/50 into a pile and mixing some snow in there. May sound odd to mix the snow in there, but it is a poor mans silage. The heat from the processing is enough to get some fermentation going in the pile and keeps the cows from picking out the good stuff. I tend to mix it slightly every day when I feed to keep it in check. May sound strange, but it has worked for me and most importantly cows are happy. I know it is not really answering your question, but they do not pick through it or waste any. BTW a good bucket and grapple is a plus.

Seen something similar years ago, wonder if it would work on outside fenceline feeding.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Last edited by Beerwiser; 12-05-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Currently I grind a mix of 3 year old hay that's hit and miss for quality, had lots of rain and was a fight to get into bales. Then a bale of grass/ditch/slough hay, then a bale of straw that has some alfalfa in it from a underserved field, then a good quality first cut hay bale.

So it's a mix of 4 bales, I do three sets of that on 2 different piles and it does me for about a week of feeding. But I do notice them pick the straw out, i think my shredder just isnt breaking the straw up enough which is why i was thinking of trying to put it through again, mainly to mix it better.

They clean everything in the feeder up pretty good. But when you look at the mess around the feeder it's mainly straw. That's where I was hoping that with the feed bunks there might be less "bulk" for them to pick through so they would be forced to eat it all?

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
I know my highline 7000hd does not like lots of loose material. If you grabbed a bucket at a time and reran it through you would probably be OK. Any more then that it starts to bridge up. Could a guy maybe put some mollasis on the straw before it goes into the processor and make the usual pile?

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Last edited by Beerwiser; 12-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
I know my highline 7000hd does not like lots of loose material. If you grabbed a bucket at a time and reran it through you would probably be OK. Any more then that it starts to bridge up. Could a guy maybe put some mollasis on the straw before it goes into the processor and make the usual pile?
I got a 6600 and where I really notice issues is with round baled straw that is broke up and short from my rotary combines in my soft core bales, once the outer shell is gone and the center collapses either it bridges over the rotor with the paddles spinning pointlessly, and when it does let go, its a huge shot all at once and so hard on everything from the pto clutch to the hammers themselves.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I guess the difference is I have a jiffy, the whole tub/cradle moves back and forth. So I figured it would filter itself through. I've never noticed any issue with loose material before, cant say I've paid attention or have had loose material really through it as well. I did some straw from behind a rotary combine a few years back and I thought the bedding was more uniform cause the bales tore apart easier if that makes any sense.

I've done molasses before on bales, seemed to be more work than what it was worth. They would still pick through it to get the most molasses they could then.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
"J" bunks with pipe and cable are heaven sent! No gate no on/of on/off and on/off again. If I could only use them I would.

The place where I got some from that went under in the 80s had had a small snow plow if you will, in each set. Had a cable hooked to I'm guessing an electric motor.(that part was gone) I just hook the cable to the skid loader or whatevers handy and pull it to the other end. Looks homemade and beats the f out of scooping bunks during a blizzard. But have to watch not to hit the cows and bunks have to be perfect or it will catch where the meet. I bondod the cracks with some success.

Why not just do your blending into one pile then feed from that so it's already mixed? When I grind I just put round bales two high 4 wide and 6 long and grind whatever concoction I decide. if I get ambitious can make longer. Kind of a temporary bunker I make next to the silage piles for less moving.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serf-farmer View Post
We use concrete bunks for the animals we are backgrounding. Have only been using them for grain. Biggest drawback I see is having to shovel them out every time there is a significant snowfall.
Ive used fence line bunks and heavy portable steel silage bunks. Basically you need a cement apron along the fence line bunks. I wouldnt go back to fence line bunks except for intensive feedlot conditions. Too much snow and waste shoveling. Also figuring the cost and losses (to dust ect) of processing feed, try and get the cow to process it. Sometimes processing low quality feed with good feed costs more than you think.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Why not just do your blending into one pile then feed from that so it's already mixed? When I grind I just put round bales two high 4 wide and 6 long and grind whatever concoction I decide. if I get ambitious can make longer. Kind of a temporary bunker I make next to the silage piles for less moving.[/QUOTE]

Sorry should have been clearer. I do a blend of 4 bales. 3 sets of 4 in a pile. For one feeding area. Do another pile the same for a different feeding area. So I'm not carrying that loose fluff all over my yard and loosing a bunch of it on the way. When I do 2 piles (24 bales total) it does me for about a week of feeding so I only have to start my grinder tractor once a week.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Well here goes nothing...

Loaded up with pre ground feed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181210_133843_1544473148334.jpg (3.45 MB, 19 views)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

That went surprisingly well. Real test will be tommorow when I see how well they cleaned it up. Just blew it on a windrow on the ground for now.

First pic is 4 different bales ground once in a pile. Second pic is after the second time it went through the shredder in a windrow. Definatly blended it up more and cut it up a bit finer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181210_135424_1544474649395.jpg (5.75 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20181210_134323_1544474676226.jpg (5.30 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20181210_134335_1544474690756.jpg (3.05 MB, 18 views)
Beerwiser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page