Fenceline feed bunks - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Well if it works for you, best of luck.
Have to admit, if that feed was in front of my cows they'd be following me back out the gate asking WTF was going on lol. Hope you are giving them some grain or something to supplement.

tbone95 likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Buck, you’re feeding your cows too well

albertabuck likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Because feed is tight and fall grazing was limited I've started feeding with my mixer wagon early. Older 4 and 3 auger mixers are plentiful and reasonably priced. Farmaid mixers are out there too but I have no experience with them. I get a buddy to tubgrind a month or better worth of feed at a time. This only takes a couple hours with 680 hp. I feed 2 loads every day or 4 loads every 2 days with my 450 Cattlac. I feed into bunk feeders that I built myself. They are ~30 ft long 2 ft high and 4ft wide. ~ 30 cows per feeder. I have a few extra to accommodate 4 loads. 19-20" pieces of pipe x6, 40-42" pieces x7, 6-8" pieces x4, ~24-32ft pipe x5. I use treated 2x8 or 2x6 along the bottom and normal lumber for the rest of the sides. If you use steel sheet metal use 12 gauge or thicker. You can buy similar feeders but they have cross pieces on the ground which freezes down and makes them difficult to move. They also only have one cross piece along the top which makes it more difficult to grab with the grapple and allows cattle to get pushed in with the flex in the pipe. I'll try to post pictures. I've had back luck with cows being pushed into inverted tires.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
Well if it works for you, best of luck.
Have to admit, if that feed was in front of my cows they'd be following me back out the gate asking WTF was going on lol. Hope you are giving them some grain or something to supplement.
Oh I'll admit it's not the best feed. I doo give them a bit of creep. But **** em they get what they get this year. They cleaned it up as good as I would hope. Now my next step is to figure out how to self load the shredder. Was thinking of attaching a manure fork on the back and taking off the bale arms?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181211_100125_1544547467980.jpg (2.04 MB, 7 views)
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Build a frame that slides over the existing bale arms, the mix will be extremely light compared to a frozen down bale, and it will be much handier to just back into it or drive out of it when grabbing the bales to build your initial pile, or bedding ect.

I’ve often wondered if a fork like that on a chain floor processor or a jiffy could be used to feed pit silage (likely have to deface the pit with the loader and build a loose pile to load). I’m allergic to starting extra tractors and unhooking, don’t even unhook the shredder to plow snow anymore.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
I’m allergic to starting extra tractors and unhooking, don’t even unhook the shredder to plow snow anymore.
Ha! I'm right there with ya on that one.

Thought about trying to figure out some quick attach system, the only issue I can see with that is I cant see where to line it up to attach. It would be a little of a guessing game, or installing a camera on the back of the shredder.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 PM

I don’t think it would be terrible to do, those bale arms self align on bales...with a little practice (only 150 more days of feeding!!) you’d get pretty good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page