How not to build temporary windbreaks - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
How not to build temporary windbreaks

For the next instalment in my how to series, it will be how not to instead.

Needed more temporary wind breaks for where I am feeding cows this winter, only have 160 feet of portable metal frame windbreaks. Feeding on crop land to get the manure etc. where i want it directly. The more windbreak they have, the better they stay where I want. feeding silage directly from the pile into feeders across the fence, so windbreaks don't need to be portable, just temporary, and easy to remove in the spring when time is at a premium.

While I was hauling straw bales this fall, I found one with about 50 wraps of net wrap, it is solid blue and pink, quite pretty really. Not sure what went wrong, neighbor was baling on shares, but it gave me the idea that cows probably can't eat a bale through the net wrap, and can't even rub through that one. So I hauled a load (32 bales), made a semi circle of net wrap wheat straw bales 2 high on end, placed a portable windbreak on each end to keep the cow traffic away. Voila, instant temporary windbreak, and come spring, I can just use the bales up with nothing left over to remove. And no more work than hauling and stacking the bales anywhere else would have been. Made sure there were no ends exposed or damaged net wrap.

Feeding silage and wheat straw full of alfalfa and grass(underseeded), whereas the straw in the windbreak is just pure wheat straw. But apparently, it is tastier than anything else, so tasty that they ate it right through the netwrap, and proceded to undermine the bales. Afraid top bales will fall and crush someone. Rather than admit defeat and just unstack them, decided to wrap snowfence around the entire stack, 2 rolls high, held up with posts tied to each other through the stack, and broken crop lifters stabbed into bales to hold it up, the theory being that they can't eat through it. Would have worked fine with wood and wire snowfence, I hadn't been around the plastic stuff before, turns out plastic snow fence has all of the integrity of a politician, calves actually managed to pull straw out through the snowfence which quickly turned into eating holes in the snowfence. Meanwhile there is a dozen of the tastiest straw bales in and out of feeders, and another 10 hay feeders with silage. But the forbidden straw is tastier. Kept patching the broken snowfence with pallets so they can't get through, but they even managed to get that ripped and knocked down.

Almost all of the steel panels on the farm were tied up around the silage pile, but finally got a few freed up as the pile got a little shorter, set them up beside the straw, then drug out every old wooden panel that would hold together, and built a fence around the straw just to keep them out. So much for cheap and easy. Now have a bunch more stuff to remove in the spring, wasted money on snow fence, wasted way too much time. And so far this winter, there has been a total of about 5 minutes of wind, and more days above zero than below( I think September was opposite...) So haven't even needed any shelter. Very strange winter, very powerful Chinooks, but dead calm. Even while southern Alberta has been blowing away.

But what possessed cows with feed everywhere to try that hard to eat straw? Best I can think is maybe one combine had the concave not set right for a few passes and a few bales had some grain left in the heads. Can't find any unthreshed heads, but maybe the cows can smell it. Also a different variety of wheat, so might be tastier too.

Could have easily built windbreak fences on posts and disassembled them in the amount of time this shortcut has taken. Or I should have traded a few extra bales in exchange for putting a few extra wraps on some bales, only had slightly more than one wrap. Net wrapped bales from another baler have 4 wraps and they don't bother them at all.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Ruminants also need roughage that spikes and scratches the rumen to keep their internals working properly (from a foggy memory it stimulates calcium release...(?))- maybe the silage isn’t quite rough enough to keep that stimulated and is why they’re seeking something with more roughage.

But I would have thought the wheat straw in your straw/alfalfa/grass bales would have been enough (?) for that job

Me thinks they’re just enjoying the psychological warfare/damage they’ve inflicting on you, have now got the internet, have joined the combine forum and a working towards this...

albertabuck and Daner like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Yeah, cattle won't touch flax straw either...

Been there, done that. Every moment and animal isn't eating it's looking for mischief.
CRToney likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why is there never time and money to do it correctly but there's always plenty to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadnt View Post
Yeah, cattle won't touch flax straw either...

Been there, done that. Every moment and animal isn't eating it's looking for mischief.
Idle mouths do the devils work. Cattle need salt to lick, something to scratch on (barb wire is the best), and the grass on the other side of the fence is always greener even in the winter.

I try to have places for cattle to scratch but they eventually wear out or go out of fashion.
chance2 likes this.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRToney View Post
Idle mouths do the devils work. Cattle need salt to lick, something to scratch on (barb wire is the best), and the grass on the other side of the fence is always greener even in the winter.

I try to have places for cattle to scratch but they eventually wear out or go out of fashion.
LOL, set up a nice scratcher and they will rub on the tractor, or better yet LOOK! A NICE PICKUP! They will run to that
crw and chance2 like this.

Why is there never time and money to do it correctly but there's always plenty to do it again
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Ahhhh, the joys of Bovine Psychology. I'm writing a book on it. Have been working on it for years. I'll finish it once I figure out a few more things. One day I'm in the field, and I calmly say, "I love you girls." The next day, it's "ASSHOLES!!!"
adsinaus and chance2 like this.

Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
jvw

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
When I got the idea, I was only worried about them rubbing on them, as they do with everything that will stand still long enough, but I was wrong.

Dad used to get so upset at cows rubbing the mirrors off his pickup whenever he was out checking cows that he would park it next to an electric fence and connect it, then watch the indignant looks they get when they couldn't destroy it anymore.
adsinaus and chance2 like this.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Some guys have trailer mounted wind breaks 30' long drag a few of them on wheat pasture or other open pastures , 30'x8'' irrigation pipe works good too . trick is to make'em stout an tough to withstand many years of abuse . Here we have NO trees to block the wind and it is always windy .

The most dangerous liars are those who think they are telling the truth .............The naked truth is better than any best dressed lie .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
After this 40 below sh!t and nothing starting I was forced to let the cows into the yard to eat what was sitting on the high boy. I didn't want to let them I to the stacked stuff just because hay is precious this year. One thing I did notice is they cleaned everything up and the calves hid under the highboy and picked up and droppings. When everyone had their fill they were quite content to lay around the truck and trailer. I am thinking of getting another cheap high boy and putting plywood on one side that can be easily removed. Feeder and shelter in one.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
If anyone is looking for hay my mom sold most the cows and she has a few loads worth she would like to sell. About 20 miles or so south of Aden border in Montana. pm me if interested. Sorry to steal the thread. Go on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page