Sheep - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Sheep

So, I've been running numbers trying to figure out how to make more money... Like everyone else is... A good friend of mine keeps saying I should switch out one of my pastures that we run 60 cow/calf pairs on to sheep. My question is, has anyone else went this route. I know with sheep you have all the fencing to redo, but he keeps pounding in my head that I'd be money ahead.. Whats everyones else 2 cents before I fall off, or maybe on the sheep band wagon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
A good friend recently hired a hired man with sheep experience. He was speaking of raising a meat breed of sheep. They grow faster and weigh up better. Less wool to fool with. Sheep graze differently than cattle. They'll eat the stuff cattle won't. 5 sheep to one cow. I believe they are more labour. With the greater ethic population in NA the demand for mutton/lamb is higher than it once was. It's worth looking into.

albertabuck likes this.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
I am sure there is a 1000 coyotes that like your idea. Ethnic market is into halo certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Barn
Pasture maggots.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
And you have to live with the sheep jokes. There will never be another ewe etc
njungers and Ozzie like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
haha thats the toughest pill to swallow, going from a cattleman to a stinky sheep herder... but if a guy can make more money on the same amount of land its seems like its worth a look
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
I don't think there is much to worry about regarding the stupid sheep jokes, least in this part of the world, not something that is really looked upon with disdain anymore.
As already mentioned predators are big time problem, really big, depending on where your surroundings. As sheep graze closer to the ground than most others, they are much more susceptible to things as bugs and soil borne diseases like anthrax, again this is more prevalent to some areas.
I have heard is that you never want sheep too close to some other certain types of livestock either, I'd have to look it up as its escaping memory at the moment, but there was even a lawsuit over it not long ago somewhere.
In this area wool is worthless, costs more to have them sheared than you get for it, so meat is the only way to go.
And as also mentioned, where the real money is in the halal bit is if you are located in a good location for it and are willing to provide an area and facilities for them to perform their ceremony. I know a few who do this and while it pays good, its not really something they are comfortable with either but adopt the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy in exchange for the dollars.
A friend and neighbor used to have about 200 of them, he offered them to me after he had a heart attack but I didn't have time to build the facilities needed to contain them. But I do believe there is a buck or two in them when done right if markets are available. Myself I would never get into offering the halal thing, no thanks. Can be very time consuming during lambing though I've been told.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
There is a local community sheep pasture close to me. They have trouble with predators but it's not a deal breaker. I'm amazed at how many coyotes are harvested every winter in my area. The power snares they use are quite effective.

Not all of the "ethnic" market is halal. Other groups are used to eating a lot of goat and sheep. Being a person of European decent is now becoming a minority in a lot of areas. Times are changing.

89 W900 19ft CIM silage box
95 T800 N14 -36ft Lode King & SD53-3w/tails,Pillar 40-10, 120ft Sprayflex 1500,JF 1355, 05 Dodge w/TripleC HydraBed, 03 Dodge 2500 authorized Ekotuning dealer
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I have friends in Calgary. It is big business, guys want their weekend feast and they want to slice the throat themselves with their special knife. It is pretty savage. Anyway, car shows up, cash changes hands, animal is chosen, caught, wrestled, throat slit and bled, tossed in the trunk, wait for next car.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Oh and I was going to get a herd myself. Bought the livestock guardian dog (Maremma) first. Decided I liked the dog more than the sheep and wanted the dog with me (rather than living in the field), so kept the dog and gave up on the idea. Great dogs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page