Manure spreader Advise?? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AnviL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Manure spreader Advise??

Thought I would ask if there are any custom guy on here or even anyone that has experience with truck mounted Manure spredaers with electric control boxes. I have a spreader on a old ford truck. The problem I have is that it works for a few loads and then it wont. I have the beater off right now and am just stockpiling. The first load works alright... second time I have to hold the switch to open the gate for a few seconds and then it finaly opens...but the apron chain will work intermitatly. Then the third load wont work at all. Left it in over night and tried it again and it all works, until aa few loads and then it stops again. Im thinking maybe my solenoids are bad? There is a beep coming from somewhere inside the cab. When I hear this beep I know its going to work? Cant figure out where this sound is coming from though? Here is a pic of my control box. The one switch I have no idea what its for??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190127_155338.jpg (194.5 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Barn
If you screw with the mystery switch does it change anything?

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
If you screw with the mystery switch does it change anything?
Nothing happens when I use the switch to my knowledge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Looks pretty home made... you may just have to open it up and get familiar with your test light or multi meter....
Could there be a circuit breaker that is getting weak or a small short that heats it up and after a while goes open...??

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
TK is this box hydraulically driven? If it is, I suspect there is a valve block that controls everything and you are having issues with the solenoid valves not working properly when the oil gets hot. You don't say what breed of box it is, possibility it is s system that come with it or might have been rigged by whomever mounted the box.
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out once you understand exactly how it is set up and wired.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
TK is this box hydraulically driven? If it is, I suspect there is a valve block that controls everything and you are having issues with the solenoid valves not working properly when the oil gets hot. You don't say what breed of box it is, possibility it is s system that come with it or might have been rigged by whomever mounted the box.
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out once you understand exactly how it is set up and wired.
Yes... the control box operates the solenoid valves in the back . There is a valve bank with three solenoid valves. I suspect it might be them.. but I cant see it being the whole bank? When it doesnt work.. nothing works..but yet there is power in the control box. I doubt its the oil getting hot... I was actually heating the oil up that one day thinking it was to stiff from the cold? I bought the truck at ritchies... it worked fine for 2 years... Kinda started acting up the year before but now its pretty tempermental. I think I will pull the solenoids off and polish them up maybe..see if it makes a difference.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfarms View Post
Yes... the control box operates the solenoid valves in the back . There is a valve bank with three solenoid valves. I suspect it might be them.. but I cant see it being the whole bank? When it doesnt work.. nothing works..but yet there is power in the control box. I doubt its the oil getting hot... I was actually heating the oil up that one day thinking it was to stiff from the cold? I bought the truck at ritchies... it worked fine for 2 years... Kinda started acting up the year before but now its pretty tempermental. I think I will pull the solenoids off and polish them up maybe..see if it makes a difference.
Was just on phone and saw you reply. Make sure you got good power going to those solenoids. Don't just use a test light or meter, use a head light or some other load. Dam multimeter or test light can really throw a screwing into a guy as they will say there is power, but the current isn't there to run the load. Also check and make sure things are grounded good, something like this should be set up where those solenoids ground back to the truck frame or even batteries themselves, not the spreader.
I maybe should have used a different term, guess its old school terminology to refer to these kind of spreaders as a box, wasn't meaning your control box in the cab lol, what actual make is the spreader itself? Is the hydraulic drive original or added afterwards?

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I would start by checking for power to the controls when it’s acting up. Then find the power source for the box I.e. does it come direct from the battery or from the truck fuse panel. I would suspect a breaker tripping than resetting
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
The more I think about it..... I'll bet you have a poor ground.. especially with manure everywhere.
If you have power on both wires of a solenoid when powered up.... = no ground. Easy check.
Grainline likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page