Pull type silage chopper - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Our neighbor runs a 3975 currently but wants to go to a fp240 for more capacity. In hay you have to chop wet enough. If you are at that 55-60% moisture range it is gummy and plugs it up easily.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
You're going to have a lot of start up money from scratch, how bad was the chopping bill?
my bill was around 30K and then had to put fuel in their trucks, and chopper. I pushed and packed

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. My main reason for not even considering an Agco brand chopper is I would drive past 2 CHN and 2 JD dealers to drive the 200 mile round trip to get parts.

As far as chopping hay goes, that would be only a 3rd of the tons and or acres through it. Mainly for corn or sorghum. I can imagine that more power would just plug that auger faster. Could a guy speed that auger up? Or would the blower be the bottle neck then?

My other questions are, how do you float the header? Does it ride on skids like a haybine? Is there any advantage to the walking tandems? How are the spouts and flipper on the end of the spout controlled?

Probably my biggest question after chopper to buy is, what is the best type/brand of dump wagons? Did anyone make a 14ton+ wagon? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Barn
Wow, that's a bill. How many tons are you doing because it sure seems you would be able to justify a self propelled at that rate.

You can get a good JD 67-6910 or 67-6950 series pretty reasonably.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Ranch View Post
Thanks for the replies. My main reason for not even considering an Agco brand chopper is I would drive past 2 CHN and 2 JD dealers to drive the 200 mile round trip to get parts.

As far as chopping hay goes, that would be only a 3rd of the tons and or acres through it. Mainly for corn or sorghum. I can imagine that more power would just plug that auger faster. Could a guy speed that auger up? Or would the blower be the bottle neck then?

My other questions are, how do you float the header? Does it ride on skids like a haybine? Is there any advantage to the walking tandems? How are the spouts and flipper on the end of the spout controlled?

Probably my biggest question after chopper to buy is, what is the best type/brand of dump wagons? Did anyone make a 14ton+ wagon? thanks
The auger on the jd is just poor design for hay crops. There is a different auger option that is supposed to help but never seen it or tried it.

The jd has gauge wheels on the hay head and you can set the float pressure with the lift. There is a gauge on the hitch to let you see how much down pressure there is. Walking tandems make the chopper way smoother and easier on everything. The spouts are either electric or electric over hydraulic controls with the deflector having a cable to a ram to move it up or down.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
The auger on the jd is just poor design for hay crops. There is a different auger option that is supposed to help but never seen it or tried it.

The jd has gauge wheels on the hay head and you can set the float pressure with the lift. There is a gauge on the hitch to let you see how much down pressure there is. Walking tandems make the chopper way smoother and easier on everything. The spouts are either electric or electric over hydraulic controls with the deflector having a cable to a ram to move it up or down.
So how does the cornhead float? And are the JDs kernel processor in the back like the NHs? I'm assuming they are belt driven. So do you just take the belt off? or do they have to be lifted out like an SP machine?

A self propelled would be sweet, but I cant see give that much money for a little bigger header, more speed, and a heck of a lot more stuff to break down. At lest a pull type if the power unit goes to heck I can always pull the pin and back another tractor to it.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 PM

The corn head has skid plates but is usually carried off the ground. The spout and flipper are controlled by a control box running electric motors. Cross augers are what they are and are the bottle neck on all pull type choppers. The fp 240 is rated for something like 300 hp and I always thought if you put that much power on it you’d come home with only the draw pin. In alfalfa we chopped 3 14 foot windrows usually at 3-5 mph. Heavy oats we usually chopped single.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
I cant even break the shear pins on my 3970 with 240hp. I always thought the fp240 was made for a lot more power. The 1600 new holland pull type was a big brute of a machine. Recommended 300hp minimum.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
The corn head has skid plates but is usually carried off the ground. The spout and flipper are controlled by a control box running electric motors. Cross augers are what they are and are the bottle neck on all pull type choppers. The fp 240 is rated for something like 300 hp and I always thought if you put that much power on it youd come home with only the draw pin. In alfalfa we chopped 3 14 foot windrows usually at 3-5 mph. Heavy oats we usually chopped single.

The shear pin problem, or lack of, is related to HP. If you have enough HP up front to keep the cutter head speed up at it's proper operating rpm, the shear pins can take a lot of abuse because the torque is fairly low. Put a smaller tractor on that is under powered and starts to slow down under load and shear pins start flying.

Neighbour was running his 3970 with his 4640 Deere and ended up with an oil leak in front of the rad. I brought out his 4440 and took the 4640 into the yard and changed out the hose that sprang a leak and then took it back. The 4440 went through 4 pins in an hour. Put the 4640 back on and never ate a pin for the rest of the day. The 4640 was able to keep the chopper up to speed, where the 4440 would slow down and shear the pin.

He still won't let me put my 6030 on his chopper for some reason. Have never been able to plug the chopper with the 4640.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 AM

Problem we had with the fp240 was the transition from the auger into the blower specifically trying to chop haylage on the dryer end plus we ran 6 knives instead of 12 for longer chop length. Our fp240 was an early model I am sure they have made improvements. We were chopping 4000-5000 tons of corn silage plus another 1200 tons of haylage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page