5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil08 View Post
Bit curious on this. A lot of difference in area, but with as wet as it was down your way early do you not think that is why your alfalfa not yielding? Up here grass can take any amount of water and produce like it appears in your waterways comment(assuming you can get it off), but alfalfa almost seems to stunt when too wet. Given the cost to terminate/reestablish alfalfa my tendency would be to leave it - unless there were actual deadspot areas due to winterkill, too many ruts, moles, etc.

Cold and wet was my concern and thought on the first cutting, its been less wet and significantly warmer/hotter for second cutting. We will see ow the third does in 10 days or so and fourth later than that but it being about half production now has me thinking that it will get terminated.

I understand the thoughts on trying it one more round but this is ground that is fully capable of cranking 250 bpa+ corn and 70 bpa+ soybeans, I can't afford to have it sub produce alfalfa. I usually rotate out of alfalfa in 4-5 years anyway.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Found out last nite I underestimated some of the grasshopper situation in some old stands, first time I have been walking thru large areas of literally standing water and still over half has been eaten by those SOBs. Must be some mutant variety lol, thought grasshoppers couldn't hack high moisture but these sure can

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
700 bales dry no rain so far, about 50% done. Been slow going though, working with weather windows. Saw a single grasshopper about a month ago and was worried but they never materialized. The alfalfa didn’t grow much this year with the bone dry June, but the clover sure took off in July. Clover is tough to dry but I use hay preservative to help with that.
garyfunk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yield is only 30% of last year. Quality is mostly poor. Managed to get 60 bales made without rain. Everything else has been raked 2-4 times. It will be a cold day in January before the cows will eat some of these black bales .
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Managed to get 120 or so bales up dry. Figured we better get it before the hoppers do, some hay has rain on it. Haven’t cut anything more until this weather decided to smarten up
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Has anyone been using using a large swather on the light grass hay crops this year? There is a lot of that around here this year. In dryer years in the past I used a 30 foot swather and thought it was quite efficient when It would actually cut well, unfortunately I think I chose a poor brand of machine and more or less wore it out quickly and sold it.

Right now I have the Big M set for straight mowing and conditioning and we are V raking everything. I really should locate a couple of 9 wheel side delivery rakes and hook them to our ancient two rake hitch and make some 80 to 100 foot windrows again.

But if anyone is having good success with something like the current Macdons with a grain Draper header, that would be interesting.

It’s funny how someone would want go back and try to solve the same old problem again.

We’ll probably scare up enough hay here but it's going to require cutting more acres than usual lately, and I’m lazier than ever, especially when it comes to fixing that worn out Big M in the heat. Should have got two of them, just to be fixing, so I wouldn’t have time to bugger either one of them up.

Same as dirt bikes!

Last edited by Haystack; 08-03-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Has anyone been using using a large swather on the light grass hay crops this year? There is a lot of that around here this year. In dryer years in the past I used a 30 foot swather and thought it was quite efficient when It would actually cut well, unfortunately I think I chose a poor brand of machine and more or less wore it out quickly and sold it.

Right now I have the Big M set for straight mowing and conditioning and we are V raking everything. I really should locate a couple of 9 wheel side delivery rakes and hook them to our ancient two rake hitch and make some 80 to 100 foot windrows again.

But if anyone is having good success with something like the current Macdons with a grain Draper header, that would be interesting.

It’s funny how someone would want go back and try to solve the same old problem again.

We’ll probably scare up enough hay here but it's going to require cutting more acres than usual lately, and I’m lazier than ever, especially when it comes to fixing that worn out Big M in the heat. Should have got two of them, just to be fixing, so I wouldn’t have time to bugger either one of them up.

Same as dirt bikes!

/snicker

Most guys in my area are laying doubles and raking together 50-60 feet sadly

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lots of winter kill here.

Quality is ok but quantity is bismal in places. Raked 2-1 last year, 6-1 this year in places.

Drive lots of little things, one day i will get to play with big toys.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post

Same as dirt bikes!
we had a little better crop and did all with the conditioner this year but last year did most of our hay with the 30' honey bee and it worked pretty good. ours happens to have a new Holland knife, same as in the haybines so cut the green hay pretty good. there is an extension kit to add about a foot to each draper to make a narrower windrow. did a lot of weeving with the baler but in poor hay crop at least there was something for the baler to pick up!!!! in my mind a way better way to handle light crop than mowing and raking. basically makes a third as many passes vs conditioner and then raking and not losing any fine material. bales don't seem to be as dense off a draper as a windrower though, and humidity was really low last year so no penalty for not running through the conditioner either.

we did have some issues with knife stalling / breaking knife heads when cutting right on the ground and running through mole / badger hills. found that oiling the knife with diesel fuel in the morning made it run A LOT smoother and quit breaking stuff.
Haystack likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
We have been cutting our grass hay with our macdon 25ft draper header this year. Center delivery on one direction and side delivery coming back, then pick them both up with our merger. Works good on a super hot and dry year, but you'll miss the conditioner on a decent year with some moisture. The pickup on our merger actually does a little bit cleaner job than the baler

Haystack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page