MF 36 swather, mixing guards with combine guards? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MF 36 swather, mixing guards with combine guards?

I picked up an old MF 36 swather last year which was set up with kwik-cut knife and guards. Meant for cutting flax and lentils.

I took it out cutting hay and found it cut great but was hard on bushings, bearings etc. in the knife drive. Too much cutting area on the extra teeth. So this winter I've been planning to put it back to the stock knife and guards.
Going through the junk that came with the swather, I don't have enough of the stock guards, #143240M1 to cover the entire 18' knife. But in my scrap pile is a pail of good #228392M1 which are likely off of an old 760 header.

They have the same bolt pattern and general appearance, but #143240M1 have bars that touch the adjacent guards, and a lip to register them against the table. #228392M1 do not.

Anyone know if I can mix in a few of these guards? Just trying to save a buck as we all know how expensive guards are... easy to double the price paid for the swather buying them!

original guard: G-255, MF guard, hay OEM# 143240M1 - Guards - Parts Webb's Sickle Service
scrap guard: 228392M2 - Forged Guard, 2 Prong for Massey Ferguson Combines | TractorJoe.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Yup. You can.

I'm also guessing you bought a 35 not a 36?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
Yup. You can.

I'm also guessing you bought a 35 not a 36?
I'm guessing you must know your guard numbers or something...how do you know it is a 35?

I junked a 36 with an 18 foot table and put the draper table on my Speedrower years ago, so they did make the 36 that wide.

As to the OP, too bad you weren't closer, have some guards you could have really cheap. No one around here runs any of them anymore.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
I'm guessing you must know your guard numbers or something...how do you know it is a 35?

Those are the same 2 #s we used on our 35... I have an ap that we keep all part #s on for common stuff. saves time when reordering. Maybe 36s had the same guards?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page