Original Grain truck 1959 GMC 9380 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
My equipment line up belongs in a museum, Lol. That 806 has done a lot of work, it was our main tractor until we got a john deere than put a loader on it. What an easy tractor to fix, i bought one of those o-ring kits from princess auto and fixed 90% of the oil leaks with just changing O-rings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 361turbo View Post
Believe they all came with 16.5 wheels and think the highest gear ratio was 456. And down to like 583s? Haha thinking you'd be floating the valves on the highway

As far as I know all parts are still available for those to keep it running for hair cuts and chick picking. LMC truck and brothers if you are looking for a new seat. Mine came with a back seat out of a van I think as they are kind of narrow.

I would recommend you say away from LMC - they just relabel products and slap $20 on the price - sometimes they don't even relabel the box.

Late 50's would be quite uncommon (not even possible) to see 16.5" wheels. Most common would be 15" (yes, even on 3/4 tons) or 16" ring locks with 17.5's and 19.5's as a less common option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
From what I've gathered from other new JD equipment and what seems to be a huge concern is "How big is the fridge" and does it keep your wobbly pops cold enough ??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thats all Deere has left to make the machine flawless.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Very cool truck sir! Please please please dont repaint it! That look is priceless.... mother nature's paint job. I'd call it a rat rod with a coat of satin clear to preserve it the way it is. Or you can call it a survivor. What ever you call it you have real jem and wonderful piece of history.

A farmers rat rod. https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...d.php?t=313873

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
A VERY nice truck in awesome shape. It is your to do with as you please of course but I would fix the wipers and remove the wood side boards (like you said you wanted) and run it as is. It needs nothing else. Whatever you decide to do just have fun and enjoy it.
kevlar likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
A VERY nice truck in awesome shape. It is your to do with as you please of course but I would fix the wipers and remove the wood side boards (like you said you wanted) and run it as is. It needs nothing else. Whatever you decide to do just have fun and enjoy it.

That's the most important part, use it and enjoy it. Don't see the point of fixing something up just to look at it.
Licensed to kill likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
That's the most important part, use it and enjoy it. Don't see the point of fixing something up just to look at it.
Sometimes just looking at it IS enjoying it. I don't have a problem with that. However, personally, I like to drive mine. The problem I have is finding the opportunity to drive them. I work almost all summer and have few nice days available to go for a cruise. I know some people with super nice rides that never drive them. They trailer them to car shows and trailer them home. While that's not my "cup of tea", it makes them happy so I'm happy for them. They get a lot of enjoyment out of their cars doing that. However, It does remind me of something that my grandmother used to say when my grandfather insisted on putting plastic seat covers in his new car (he did it in his '55 olds and again in his last car, factory ordered '67 olds 98) "Why should I have to sit on plastic just so the next owner can have brand new seats?". It used to drive her nuts. LOL
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
I would recommend you say away from LMC - they just relabel products and slap $20 on the price - sometimes they don't even relabel the box.

Late 50's would be quite uncommon (not even possible) to see 16.5" wheels. Most common would be 15" (yes, even on 3/4 tons) or 16" ring locks with 17.5's and 19.5's as a less common option.
You are correct. I looked it up just last night. The stock wheels for one of mine are in the corner of the car shop and are in fact 15 inch.... I dont know where I got 16.5 it did come with 16.5s when I got it I guess. I should have known better as I just got 2 37 in pickups one has 16.5s and 1 stock and noticeably different sizes. Sorry for the miss information.

I have gotten two radios from lmc and a few dash pads n door grips in the last 10 years. I try to find original or donor if I can.
I have used "year one" for some car stuff (mostly trim and interior things) hit n miss but they take back blemished products.

Where do you recommend getting parts? Trim? anything chrome or aluminum seems to be absolutely crap though anybody I can find.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
I like how all the old pickups have the paint wore down/off at the bottom of the window from when they where using the a/c! (windows down arm out) also the tiny scratches from when poeple wore watches.

Somthing they need to bring back is the door handles. I've broke my share of plastic ones when it gets cold and the door freezes over. Those old ones you could probably hook on to and pull it out if you got stuck!

I'll give you what your dad gave for it brand new! cash and be on my way in 10min...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
The farm looks bare without the old equipment out in the yard in the summer. I think i saw the original brochure he had when he picked it out and it had $2200 written on it, but it was so long ago i could be way off. i am not going to paint it just put good wheels and tires and do something with the seat. other than that it is rolling into town on a regular basis. There are some old guys in town who are still around who remember my dad rolling in when he was single with his truck all polished up. It will give them a real kick to see it rolling down main street once again. I wouldn't trade for anything. Mom after a while called it the jalopy, lol and the name stuck. That truck did some hard dirty work as a stone picker, we threw such big stones in the back, i feel so bad now that i see what has endured, not just steel, but the family that grew up in it. My dad met my mom with it, drove her home from the church in it and brought me and my sisters home from the hospital in it when we were born. it hauled a lot of wheat to the elevator, and brought home groceries.
it is one of the most valuable pieces on the yard. i am trying to teach my wife to drive it, so when i pass, i hope she can bring my ashes back to the yard in it, even if it is just up the yard road. And throw me to the wind out the back were i have one of the most scenic views a flatlander could have. Thanks for all the good posts, (see, you don't necessarily need new equipment, just good ones)

PIctures are of my dad (passed), mom (passed), my smoky view, and me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (773.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (662.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1108.JPG (890.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.JPG (1.61 MB, 5 views)
adsinaus and Licensed to kill like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page