Old equipment you still drag out of the Bush once in a while - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
A 16 Deere 100 chisel plow drug out about once every three years to fill in water runs created in spring by runoff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
We drag out a John Deere 10 bottom plow every now or our Degelman Quad 5 cultivator. But that's about it

Last edited by case; 10-28-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
What are you rebuilding, the trips? My shanks are getting wore but mostly had to replace some springs as they get stretched from when a shovel catches on a buried boulder and gets pulled back further than had been designed. I have the 49 foot version. Watch the bearings on the walking beams, never had them fail but every once in a while need to snug them up just a bit.
Little of everything, got new sweeps on, got new harrow teeth in the other day. Bunch of new tires, hydraulic hoses (cant believe them cheap originals made it this far, I dont think they even have steel braids)
I had a bunch of bent shanks and a couple broken ones. Few springs that must have been pulled too hard cause they are bent in the middle.
It will get me through what I need to do this fall with it but the rockshaft tube has been patched and the bolts through the shanks are only acceptable.
The shanks themselves are in pretty nice shape, when we bought it back in the 90's it already had the plastic wear strips on so that helped a lot.

Kinda suprising how reasonable tillage parts have been, I think by the time I'm done I still won't have 5 grand into it, tires and hydraulic hoses have been by far the most expensive.

Mine might be a 49, I think they said it was 52 but never put a tape to it. Been planning on measuring the spacing, I thought when I ordered 100 sweeps I'd be good but I came up like 5 short. Must be 6" spacing, I was thinking 7.5"

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
A 16 Deere 100 chisel plow drug out about once every three years to fill in water runs created in spring by runoff.
Ha ha, I was going to post the same thing except mine is a 14'. Tires hold air and the greasable bushings in those wheels have lasted longer than any Bourgault wheel bearing I have ever seen. Done lots of breaking with that thing.

If you guys want old I sometimes use a couple of old stone-boats to drag stuff around, those must be 100 years old...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandreas View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster. Dad and I must have been really bored in 2014 so we got his old WD-9 running as well as Massey Harris 90 Combine that we bought at the neighbors auction sale. Truth be told, we bought it for battery as it was $25. Anyways Video explains it all and I had a blast running the old stuff. Now due to the 10 post rule about posting links. Give the title of the video a copy and paste if you got the time, thanks.

Massey Harris 90 combine with International WD-9 tractor YouTube
Thanks for sharing!
I'm posting a link to your video.

https://youtu.be/rZOW7K5TBe0

We have an old A-C gleaner combine.... we try to leave a half width sheath for it to do end of season but last couple years harvest has ran too late.
Dandreas likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Little of everything, got new sweeps on, got new harrow teeth in the other day. Bunch of new tires, hydraulic hoses (cant believe them cheap originals made it this far, I dont think they even have steel braids)
I had a bunch of bent shanks and a couple broken ones. Few springs that must have been pulled too hard cause they are bent in the middle.
It will get me through what I need to do this fall with it but the rockshaft tube has been patched and the bolts through the shanks are only acceptable.
The shanks themselves are in pretty nice shape, when we bought it back in the 90's it already had the plastic wear strips on so that helped a lot.

Kinda suprising how reasonable tillage parts have been, I think by the time I'm done I still won't have 5 grand into it, tires and hydraulic hoses have been by far the most expensive.

Mine might be a 49, I think they said it was 52 but never put a tape to it. Been planning on measuring the spacing, I thought when I ordered 100 sweeps I'd be good but I came up like 5 short. Must be 6" spacing, I was thinking 7.5"
Ya I had to do some tires on mine few years back already and mine still has those nylon braid plastic hoses but the covering is all falling off so like you, one of these days gonna replace them all. The small diameter ones for the wings are the worst, the full size actual lift lines are still intact.
Spacing on those is oddball, its just over 6.5 inches, 6.7 to be exact, must have been something in Cornbinder's wisdom with an oddball number like that lol. I've had to move a few around on mine to make it more able to deal with trash, but with that deep frame spreading the ranks they do work well.
We'll both have the same five section main frame, book actually calls it 48, and if yours has the two extension shanks on each end outside the frame, then that is what they call 51. Funny though when you measure them they come out a foot bigger lol.
If you need any tech on cylinders or anything or tooth patterns just ask, I have the book for mine.
SWFarmService likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page