Massey Harris 44 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
There was an old guy south of Nipawin who used hydraulics to break stuck engines free. He made up custom fittings for the injector hole and put hydraulic pressure on the piston. I'd start with the diesel soak but when it comes time to break it free hydraulics may help.

R.J.(Bob) Evans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
What memories of a 44 Massey Harris. My first outfit was an old 44 Massey when I was 11 or so for 400 bucks and a brand new fork style rock picker for 600. I and my siblings and friends picked rocks for many years with that beauty. What an upgrade from a stone boat. The 44 added to the existing 55, both were easier to start with the front crank. Half a turn would get them running as smooth as glass. In the summer we hooked it to an old camp trailer and would camp out overnight at the local slough. Man, I loved that machine and have thought many times of restoring one but alas I have too much junk that I have to actually use to fix on a daily basis so I never did it. So I tip my hat to those who can actually go through with it as I hate to see that old iron get abandoned. Good luck to you!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My Grandpa bought one brand new. I still use it occasionally to plow snow. Had to put a new clutch in it last year. So far any part I have required were available from Agco or a wreaker. Mine is 6v pos ground still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Difinatly bring it home, if it's a part of your family's history!

ATF and diesel on top of the pistons, leave the plugs loose or out completely when it comes time to try to turn it over [avoid hydraulic lock]
If you have lots of time or the project is low priority.... two things you can try, 1- stick the crank in the front and either put a jack under the handle and let it sit with some weight on it... if you leave it for years the hot/cold cycles may break the engine loose with the diesel in it.
Or 2- jack up 1 rear wheel put it in high gear and whenever you walk past it give the wheel a few good clunks back and forth in an effort to break the rust sticking the pistons.
I have even heard about strapping a long beam on the wheel with a bucket of rocks on the end to let sit and do the same kind of thing.

Pics!?
🙂

Keep calm and combine on....
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Forgot to grab some when I went to look at it but once its home I'll get some pics.

I think I'll throw it in the corner of the shed, fill it full of diesel and hope for the best. Might take a couple years before I really dive into it anyways. Might even make a good project for my boys when they get older.

Figured I should ask on here as these are the responses I was hoping for... reaffirming my addictions of collecting old stuff.
letitgrow likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
If I had lots of money, I would have piles of old stuff sitting around waiting to be fixed. But alas, because I have no money, I have plies of old stuff sitting around waiting to be fixed!

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Haha I hear ya. For some reason theres not as much appeal to the 12 pre-1980 ski doo sleds I had sitting here to anyone else but myself.

I guess I should also ask for tips to get it home. It's not far, 10ish miles or so, but one rear tire is right buggered so cant tow it home. Dont have a trailer to put it on, unless it would fit in the back of my stock trailer?

Any tricks or do I just need to search for a trailer.

Last edited by LittleMountain; 04-23-2019 at 07:11 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
My father used to bitch me out every time he found out I had bought another "antique". Probably the most he ever commented was when he come down to my place unexpectedly and found an 830 Deere sitting in the shed hooked up to a baler. Only good thing he said at the time was that at least he didn't see my old R anywhere anymore lol. As it turned out, it was the last time I explained to him simply that I liked some of those older machines and trucks and if I didn't buy them now when I had the chance, years later one would have trouble doing so. I paid $2750 for that electric start 830 from Deere in Trochu close to 30 years ago now, run good and worked it for several years before the injection system started giving grief and got parked till time to fix it again. Good luck trying to replace it with one in the same shape it was back then for under 10K today. The old man is long since gone, but it seemed I was on the right track all those years ago, have never regretted buying any of the ones I did back then, or the rest I have added since. As I say around here the stuff in my yard is counted by the acre lol. And its what I tell anyone who is into that or thinking of it, buy them now while you can. So much of them are ending up in collections or the scrap yard, and after the likes me are gone and done too, I can't see there being much readily available anymore.

A measuring tape will tell you if it will fit in your stock trailer, but I'd becareful you don't get any fluid slopping around if there is a buggered tire, seems the older solutions, thats horribly corrosive stuff.
Border Farmer likes this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 04-23-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Well got it home... little interesting as something is seized right up and couldn't even get the tires to roll. But got it on my makeshift trailer and made it home. Shes rough but will spend the next years living in the shed till I have time to do something with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190430_202205_1556674365030.jpg (4.59 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190430_202154_1556674423529.jpg (4.59 MB, 6 views)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I would fill the transmission and rear end with diesel too. But it doesn't look that rough. I've seen worse. Rotten tires make anything look worse than it is

kevlar and Border Farmer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page