Massey Harris 44 - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
First thing I'd be checking with the rear wheels not turning is the brakes hanging up. Seen that more than once. And agreed, if its gonna sit, fill up the back end too. Check for water in it first too, just loosen the plug till last thread, do the engine too. And honestly that old girl don't look that bad, I've seen a lot worse. Have fun.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thought it was brakes too but had one tire in the air and then they would spin... in opposite directions. Figure it might be stuck in gear or something. But ya I was gunna fill every thing up with diesel and see what happens.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 AM

If one is in the air and they spin in opposite directions, then your diff is fine. You're right, likely stuck in gear. Hopefully that and not a messed up tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Dumped the oil, or should I say sludge, out of the trans and engine this morning before I put it in the shed. Filled it up with diesel. I put diesel in the spark plug holes and in the crankcase until it was coming out the dipstick, it is worthwhile to pour some down the exhaust pipe too?

Was wiggling it back and forth with another tractor as we were towing it and almost seemed to free up some. The last 3 feet into the back corner whatever was stuck must have come loose cause it rolled then. Put the crank in the front of the engine and gave it a good push and turned the crank about 3 inches. So there is hope that it's not siezed up bad.
adsinaus and kevlar like this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
I like to dump some down the manifolds, it don't hurt, increases the chances of loading up the cylinders and infiltrating the valve stems depending on configuration, yours being overhead valve and an updraft carb, I'd still dump some down the exhaust but keep in mind it is gonna create a bit of a mess when things puke over after it leaks thru the internals. Also I wouldn't leave it jammed as far as it will turn one way, always best to back it up and let it sit in a loose position, and every now and then when walking by or you think of it, rock it back and forth, it all helps.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Definatly a pleasant surprise this a.m. went to go push on the crank as I was going by. Ended up being able to rotate the engine a few times. Wasnt stuck that bad I guess!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMountain View Post
Definatly a pleasant surprise this a.m. went to go push on the crank as I was going by. Ended up being able to rotate the engine a few times. Wasnt stuck that bad I guess!
Well that's a good start. It's been 5 years or better since I've playd with a 44 but parts aren't hard to find for them.
Have a row crop with a 350chevy/auto trany in it. Fun rig!
Alot of pullers used 44s back in the day. Still a few around using 44-6s, (6cyl)
congratulations and happy fixing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page