Massey Harris 44 - The Combine Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Massey Harris 44

I can get my hands on a old massey 44 gas. I've always wanted to fix up one of these old girls but my knowledge, time and space is limited at times.

What am I looking at if I go ahead with this. The engine is locked up. Tires are shot. Tin is rough in parts. Are parts readily available for these somewhere or is it a long drawn out hunt for them? Is there any complex parts to them or is it all a pretty straight forward nuts and bolts? Are they a 12v system or 6v?

It was my grandfather's tractor and has been sitting for years, but it needs a new home now. So am debating if it's worth dragging back to my yard to either have a project or maybe a lane ornament.

Any comments or insights?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Its surprising what I've been able to get from Agco for an old Massey TEA20 and Ferguson FE35. I'd check with a good parts person at your local AGCO for a rough idea of what they have.

And check Steiner tractor parts website. You'll be able to get a rough idea of what's available.

I've done a few old tractors. 2 more on the list and then I'm done. But they all have had some sentimental value. Easier to do than a car, truck or airplane. And cheaper. Trust me. As long as you can get what parts you need

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Even just to hold down the grass, thats part of your family history, bring it home.
Those actually have a Continental engine in them. Lots of aftermarket parts available which is most common source of new, and in this part of the country they sell between $500 to 2K depending on condition, so often a parts tractor or two is a good investment if you need much.
Most are 6V but I have seen them converted to 12, and possibly the later ones may have come with 12, I'd have to check. Don't have the factory books but do have hardcover jobber ones from the 50s and 60s that would show what all was available, been while since I tinkered with one. Those old books often have info you don't see in modern reprints. If it is 6, it most likely be positive ground as well.
Those old Masseys were a good unit in their time. Not sure if it is still in huge demand, but for years the pullers would build their units with a Massey 55 back end, that should tell you something lol.

And for that stuck engine, fill it full of diesel and let it soak, time is your friend. Might not be that bad and even if it is, that soaking will make it easier to deal with when you tear it down.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
I assume it will be a 6 volt system with a generator and most likely a positive ground system. That at least seemed to be the situation from the factory from what I gather and if there is an old battery installed even though it would be split open, look closely at the post markings on the battery to confirm that. I suppose its always possible someone changed the system components so I guess one can't take anything for granted.
I see AlbertaBuck posted as I was typing ... in any event it can play on the mind as one boosts a positive ground unit as it doesn't seem right to attach the cables with the positive to the frame.

Last edited by Northern Farmer; 04-22-2019 at 08:49 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
And for that stuck engine, fill it full of diesel and let it soak, time is your friend. Might not be that bad and even if it is, that soaking will make it easier to deal with when you tear it down.
I've heard of this... do I dump the oil then just fill the bottom end with fuel or should I be getting it on top the pistons as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
if there is an old battery installed even though it would be split open, look closely at the post markings on the battery to confirm that. I suppose its always possible someone changed the system components so I guess one can't take anything for granted.
I'm assuming it's a 6v as well but there is no battery in it so not sure. Would it be marked anywhere else what system it would be, on the starter or something, or is there a way to tell the differences?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
One thing you can do which I can only guess would tell someone who is familiar with the alternator and starter, is to look for the tag on each component and write those numbers down. Also look for anything that seems modified or seems to look factory. As to the polarity, this is stretching it a bit but if the battery cable ends are in tact and if whoever took the cables off the battery didn't go and stretch one of the ends wide open, look for the cable that has the larger hole diameter and if its the cable that connects to the engine block, its a good chance your dealing with the factory positive ground system.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Does it have lights? Pull a bulb and see if the voltage is printed on the back. The generator should have a tag on it too.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quappelle View Post
Does it have lights? Pull a bulb and see if the voltage is printed on the back. The generator should have a tag on it too.
I'll have to try this when i go to pick it up. See if I can come up with something.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Diesel in the top of the pistons is far more important than the bottom end. I like a 50-50 mix of diesel and ATF. Seafoam Deep Creep is my go to penetrant in an aerosol for when stuff is really stuck.
albertabuck likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsy060 View Post
Diesel in the top of the pistons is far more important than the bottom end. I like a 50-50 mix of diesel and ATF. Seafoam Deep Creep is my go to penetrant in an aerosol for when stuff is really stuck.
Perhaps I should have explained that better...when I said fill it full, I mean full top to bottom, crankcase, cylinders, intake and exhaust, everything except water jacket.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page