Thread: AgOpenGPS
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM
8850Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
Besides if enough of us can open source a bunch of ag software and maybe we can tailor stuff to better suit our needs and not have to sell our first born for overpriced stuff.
Without offending anybody I guess this is cool but what is the ultimate goal? Trimble, JD, and name your company charge fees for unlock codes which sucks because I believe they are excessive. Ipads and tablets are less then $1000 US whereas JD and trimble displays are $5000 + before unlocks. I get the money savings, but If I already have this overpriced stuff I probably wouldn't switch to this kind of setup. ( Not that the BrianTee would care anyway.)

Is the idea for updating older or customized equipment with new technology for fraction of the price? Or maybe a guy is running new equipment valued at $200k-800k and wants to save a little and stick it to the man. I'll pick on JD... If you buy a JD tractor with EH valve and pull an airseeder/planter with section control, blockage, etc. it would be wicked to have an Android tablet run all of it as you could save an easy $15k doing so... When this can control and monitor a Bourgault Aircart then sign me up as I despise their system.

I have a hard time thinking outside the box, but if the goal is to make this open software better then the existing setups out there and not just for money savings then I will question no more as I do not have enough creativity to make them better other then to streamline their menus and help functions.

ISOBUS is like the United Nations. Sounds good in theory, but nobody plays by the same rules and it ends up being a cluster*&&^

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome