The Combine Forum banner

14" 115' Merdian manufacturing telescoping auger

8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Millie 
#1 ·
Had a demo today with the all new 14" 115' telescoping swing auger from Merdian manufacturing

I currently run a 110' 13" hp Brant auger and it works well, but as soon as I seen the new Merdian storm max I new I wanted to see it in action.. Very smooth to see how it works, just pull beside and drive under, no worries about damaging the swing, or being to close to the tractor, 5 feet of room between tractor and truck and the tractor had triples on it

Also as quiet as the Brant hp, and a fair bit quicker, I was able to run 5 percent more open on my electronic slides on the trailer remote, and would dump out at a rate of 2.5bu a second or a full compartment on the supper b in 3.5 minutes at 1400rpm, when speeding this to 1800rpm, it was less than three minutes to dump or 3.0 bu/sec

They said I had the slow speed gearing in the swing and could be improved almost ten percent with the taller gears, give you a choice for certain high moisture crops, or less damaging crops, and installs in minutes

This auger is built very heavy, and has a frame that makes the hp Brant look light.. Cables on the flighting that could hold the golden gate Brige together, tires that could be used on a semi, seamed to be very thought out and easy to work on if problems exist..No leaks anywhere, very clean unit. And a very neat full bin door that opens and prevents auger from stalling, saving flighting and shear bolts

Takes a few times to understand the telescoping swing, but easy to maneuver and is able to use under load from any lateral postion it can stretch too

Costly, but not much more than a new 13" Brant and offers more flow and telescoping swing.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Not sure what you mean as in lifts both sides, but if you are referring to if the slide can be used on left or right side, of main auger, yes it can

As for why the 4wd I wanted to see how much room we had if we had to use that tractor with triples, and we had lots of room, would guess you need at least 200 hp for taller bins

#7 ·
Not sure what you mean as in lifts both sides, but if you are referring to if the slide can be used on left or right side, of main auger, yes it can
They had on at the farm show last year or the year before, that the swing auger would lift over the tube and when moving the auger the swing would sit directly above the main tube. I think that one was a prototype.

#8 ·
I'm not aware of that, but will ask about that, pretty cool idea if it could work.. He said they made 25 prototypes of this and have them spread through out the region, so far they have been looking very promising...

He said they tried a 16 inch swing that would supper charge the long 14 inch, but many us customers complained about higher hopper, and the weight of the swing.. He said they were faster than the standard 14" they have on this model, but with running faster gearing on the swing it not far behind

#13 ·
I've always been really impressed with Sakundiak augers in the past but not with the 14" x 95 I used last year.

Here is a picture that shows the bend in the auger tube at the point where the undercarriage and top truss attach to the tube. There was no bracing from the hitch up to this point causing the tube to bend several inches and therefore it knocked and ran very rough.
Did they improve this on the new one?

And are they still using that stupid double clevis hitch that swivels? My second picture shows it and kind of shows how it torques the drawbar down as well as putting weight on it. There was crazy hitch weight on this auger and that was with just a plain 16" swing tube. The telescoping one must be real heavy.

Attachments

#22 ·
There was around two feet of side movement once we put swing down, the spout took up most of the travel, but I could see you having to reposition auger if you were to far over.. Almost need a counter ballence to offset drift..

Hitch weight must also be fairly heavy on this auger, since it had bent the truck receiver that brought the auger out, and I could tell as we lowered jack on tractor, it actually dropped tractor a bit..

I do know on my 110' Brant auger, if I have the end of the tube full of grain from filling a full bin and not being able to dump it all out of tube, when I pull away I can have to much weight on end of auger and have hitch hit the top of the tractor hitch, might be a reason why they have this much hitch weight to prevent that

#25 · (Edited)
Bump

Wondering if anyone has any more experience on these augers? Don’t seem to see too many and the rodono seems to be taking over every other auger. I’ve got a Brandt with a rodono and quite like it but hasn’t been trouble free. Putting up some new bins so looking at a longer auger and this one is intriguing to me but comes at a higher price than a comparable Westfield or even Brandt. But just looking at it side by side with the Westfield, I can say that Meridian sure puts a heck of a lot more steel into their unit.

#29 ·
On the ronodo swing if your shaft is off, you are jumping the track. It is caused by your hopper not being able to swivel on the auger. I unbolt the hopper every year and clean that swivel and spray that dry grafite on it. If you are carfull you can just retract the auger in a bit and if you only go a inch it will not come off the auger spline. I also leave a 4x4 block on the back of the tractor and i put it under the hopper tire to twist it if i need. Most augers swivel at the top but because of the retractable auger they had to do it at the bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.