Corn growers...good ro bad? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Blogger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Corn growers...good ro bad?

Well figured i'd throw this out there since corn is in full swing now and the midwest is the king of corn, so it should be interesting to see what good/bad area's there are with the crazy weather that was across the midwest.

here in EC-IL we are pretty shocked, the stem still has a greenish tint, and the leaves are still a dark green, but the corn is only 18%, its amazing. We planted about 700acres of Pioneer 34A18 this year and wow was that a right decision, we're getting test weights of 60lbs/bu, moisture from 16.5%-18% and its a really clean feeding grain.

We're on a golden harvest variety now and the tank samples are just crap, the stalks are so poor that there's lot of stalk section in the tank, 30acres of the field was over-run by morning glory, and 6rows of our end rows were killed by tenant of the field to the south who so kindly forgot to pay attention that his corn was Roundup-Ready and ours wasn't. A few choice words later and we were happy...now i just have a ton of grass to chisel down.

Only got 1 field done so far and it was previous nursery ground, and it even averaged 185bu/acre! were hoping if i chisel it this fall, since its never been done before, that we can get some nice loose soil for the plants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Re: Corn growers...good ro bad?

In such cases, can you make a neighbor pay for the damages done to your crops?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We had a wind storm back in July that laid down some pieces of some of our corn fields. The early planted corn was mostly alright, as it had a better root system at the time. We bought a corn reel to help pick up the stuff that was flattened, but we really haven't used it yet. Anything that blew down "goose-necked" and came back up. We've been working on combining one of those fields for the past couple days, and it's been a one-way thing. The pleasant surprise is that it is still averaging around 180-190 bu/ac, and I know we're leaving plenty of ears on the ground. Moisture on this is 21-22%, but it has to come out ASAP. The deer and mice are starting to eat it up. On better ground, we've seen averages in the 220 range. I had expected average this year to be around 180.

The fundamentals in the corn market say it should go down. I think there is a lot of corn out there, and storage will be in short supply at the end of this harvest.

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Everyone I've talked to across the midwest says that 34Axx hasn't been very good at all. Hearing very good overall averages from ECIL. Some 240+ whole field averages.

Brandon
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My dad started last Monday for high moisture corn that goes to a feedlot and ground into a pit then packed. 25 to 30% moisture and a good yield. He farms in NE Colorado in the sandhills.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Blogger

we've had rains at the right time brandon, lol...we got 97acres done today and ran a golden harvest/monsanto number (LL143RW) its a wierd number i can't remember....test weights of 56 and moisture of 17%....after drydown it came out to be 193bu/acre...which isn't bad considering 35acres looked like a morning glory field.

We're back to 34A18 tonight though and our test weights our 60-61 with a moisture of 16.5%...we can do 3/4mi with our 6 row head and its spilling on the cab!

Hope ya'll are as blessed as we seem to have been this year, the fields look and seem very deceiving with the green thats still left on the plant.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 PM

How many ears per plant do you have to get 180-200+ bushel corn? Here in my part of Texas the average yields are 80-90bpa. I cut some this year for a guy that made 120 bpa. That's the best corn I have cut and some of the best I've seen around here. This might sound corny(lol), but could some of you guys up north post pics of the ears of 200+ bushel corn?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM

You can't see much in this pic, but this is from a field that would have averaged about 220 bu/ac.

http://lefebure.com/farming/2007fall/images/091602.jpg

-Lance
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:46 AM

We have combined three fields of corn, average dry bushels/acre range from 190 to 205 over our scale. I opened up a field with some pioneer, can't remember the number, and it was not doing as well as the dekalb we have planted. 61-72, and 61-73 are the top numbers so far that we have combined, did some yield checks and the first one we had three varieties ranging from 220-250 and the second the same varieties went 215-235. Lots of variation in the hilly fields. We have some crows corn that looks really good and has been in the past, wont get to it for a couple weeks or so because we switched to beans. Ebert you never said what the bushels/acre are on your A18, oh and what the heck does golden harvest have to do with Monsanto?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote: Ebert you never said what the bushels/acre are on your A18, oh and what the heck does golden harvest have to do with Monsanto?

Golden Harvest has nothing to do with Monsanto, they buy their tech traits from them like everyone else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page