What is the closest farm accident calyou ever had? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the closest farm accident calyou ever had?

A few years ago there was a post similar to this on another board and it generated a lot of interesting responses. The post I recall the most is someone who was roading a combine and some idiot city driver cuts him off. He yanked bank on the hydro lever, the header hit the ground, somehow the back tires on the combine didn't blow out when they hit back down on the ground. Car driver carried on as though nothing ever happened.
As for myself it would be when I was hauling an 18ft disk on a 5th wheel trailer, going up a hill with guard rails on both sides. Idiot in a car coming towards me sees that I'm overwidth but decides to continue towards me. I slow down and try to get over and stop but he whizs towards me at about 50 or so. The disk had to be within a few inches of hitting that car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: What is the closest farm accident calyou ever

Every time I run a grain cart next to a combine with an auger that is just too short, I wonder how many people have run over the header with the tractor duals. I've been a little too close for comfort before, but no collisions.

Whats really not fun is when you are roading a combine somewhere and the hydraulic steering
cylinder (or its mounting bracket) brakes. Trying to stop a combine fast isn't something that is easy to do, especially when it decided to change direction.

I've also heard of a tractor sliding off the side of a lowboy semi trailer while being loaded up. Wet tires can be very slick. In this case, it wasn't a problem since the tractor had duals. Just backup off the trailer and try it again.

-Lance

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:Hello,everyone?

The most bad accident I have seen was . A combine that slide a way in wet conditions from a combine trailer a fold over on his back site. I have pics off it He, lance may send them to you? So you can place them on this site? I 'm note a member by that way. Thanks lance.

Cx driver

Sure, send `em on over. My e-mail address is in the profile.

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:The CX combine pics is off last fall season 2004. The CX combine that is equiped with tracks is taken in the wet fall off 2003. We need them because the very wet conditions. With wheels it don't go any more. With the tracks on it, you driving like you have drink to mutch beer its "swimming from left to right" and you must can follow the rows!!! We harvest that season just till February to get all the corn off. I driving with that combine.

Th combine on his side is taken by the local New Holland dealership the brand is "Deutz Fahr" and it was sold to Poland. But when the load it on the trailer it slipped away. Cab total loss and alsoo the unload auger. They cut the cab and auger and take it to Poland and harvest without cab and with an other auger.

The Claas was taken alsoo in the wet fall He lost his left rear wheel on the field.

Last edited by mx270a; 10-13-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Removed broken links.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 01:45 AM

once i was driving a 9220 with a grain giant grain cart and i was about to pull over to let a car pass down a little parish road. Next thing i know, he's flying by me. I paniced and jerked the wheel, one of the tires on the cart went into the ditch, the other side's axle broke off. So i had to sit in the middle of the road with a cart with only one wheel.
Our Grain Giant, still trukin after my accident.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:20 PM

Do you have a big enough tractor on that cart? Man, that must pull like a dream.

-Lance
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:48 PM
stu

There's been a few things I have seen and done. 2 years ago was unloading on the go with buggey half in the ditch on the outside round, approx. 11:00pm was a fairly level ditch and had been a really wet fall and one of the trains I just loaded went past me at 45-50mph and got off the other side of the dirt raod and rolled on it's side. I just remeber looking over at the underside of the truck and trains going past at that speed

I remeber one night working by myself jacking up a 18 row 1780 corn planter to change a tire and having it come off the jack. The phone rang and just as I turned my back, BANG!

Those come off the top of my head. I'm sure i'll think of more.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Lug bolts broke on a 9600 on one of the back tires. Wheat field caught on fire and burned the combine right in front of me to the ground and I helped put it out by cutting in front of the fire.
Seen a combine hit a semi right in front of me on a busy road.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Administrator

I about rolled a combine down a very steep ravene at night one time. The right duals went into the ravene and almost came off, the tires unbeeded and deflated, the header and combined went forward and landed on the header bottom, almost causing it to fall into the raven and roll down sideways, luckily it didn't. I didn't move about 5 minutes because I was shock. It was quite scary.

Alex
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:Do you have a big enough tractor on that cart? Man, that must pull like a dream.

-Lance

sometimes we end up cutting in the mud and we need that much power on the carts. Also we have a tendancy to over load our carts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page