Getting started in Precision ag - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Getting started in Precision ag

I am wanting to get this started on our farm, farming around 350ish acres. I am leaning towards Trimble, seems to me they have a good system. I am currently using a waas signal on a raven light bar. This is the extent of my experience with gps technology. I want to do this for more than just having straight rows of corn and beans. I am looking for a system that wont be outdated the day after i buy it.

So here is what I am thinking of purchasing.

Trimble fm1000, with Ez-pilot for steering.
omnistar hp or Rtk. Rtk subscription cost of $600 per year
From what I have been hearing $2000 to unlock omnistar. Then another $2000 to unlock Rtk. Unless I can find A Used one that has the been unlocked. I would like to run my raven rate controller and planter monitor through the fm1000 to eliminate cab cluster, one screen instead of three. I would like to put yield monitor on the combine as well. Just not all in the same calendar year. My budget wont allow. Where is the best place to start?

Advice and opinion's are appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herby04 View Post
I am looking for a system that wont be outdated the day after i buy it.
Then my recommendation would be Ag-Leader. They still support the first yield monitors they sold in the 80's.
We have 3 Insight-Trimble setups (from back when there was some love between them) I can still get whatever I need upgraded or repaired for my Insights. Found out this fall that Trimble no longer supports their 252 receiver/radio, and hasn't done for a couple years. The part that really chaps me is when a dealer told me that Trimble requires them to destroy trade in units in order to get reimbursed.

If you're looking at doing any applying ie:spraying, seeding, fertilizing. Ag-Leader is pretty tough to beat. You can variable rate up to 5 different products at a time, and drive the machine with one screen. Everything is Raven compatible. With the hardware installed on the combine, you just swap the monitor from the tractor to the harvester, and you can drive the combine and map yield. With the SMS software you install on your computer, you can make more maps than Rand McNally.

A lot of the systems nowadays are capable of pulling many of the same tricks Ag-Leader has been doing for years, but for the parts and service they have provided me, Ag-Leader will have my loyalty for years to come.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Barn
X2.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:52 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
It seems that trimble stops supporting there stuff as soon as the new model is out. I like the sounds of the ag leader support as I mostly have trimble stuff that really only steers. I have a 750 with ez pilot and yield and moisture on it. Have yet to get any data out of it and have used it for two full years. Trimble experts around here are like Sasquatch sitings, I have heard of a guy that claims he thinks he saw one once. Good luck on your search.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten all about Ag Leader. I have since found an Ag leader Insight with auto-pilot, and auto-swath unlocked, Comes with the direct command switch box for $1,500 u.s. Seller sold the receiver that was unlocked to RTK. I Think this is a deal. Dealer tells me they upgraded their towers to 450 Mhz. If I do buy the insight which receiver should I look for? I would like to be Rtk capable even if I only ever run Omni-star. Then onto steering but Time will tell if I have to worry about that yet. Oh yeah almost forgot, I have tru count shut offs on my planter, can the Insight do this as well? What about the planter monitor which is the SM 3000 Dickey john that is branded agco?

Thanks for the replies
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Barn
Insight will control all that, you will need a new wiring harness for the planter. Not sure what receiver you will want. You will not be disappointed with ag leader, it is simple to run and support is excellent.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What does an Ag Leader system generally cost? I know there is a lot that go into the systems so just looking for general "in the ballpark" figures. I was looking at their Seed Command system and the Integra and Versa displays. Seems like really good technology but I'm betting its really expensive. Are they fairly reasonably priced or are they on the high end?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I would say they are in the same ball park as Trimble when it comes to pricing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Barn
Integra 4000ish, versa 2500ish, seed command 1000ish, mods and harness vary per application.

Receivers: Paradyme 8000ish, gps 1500 800ish, geosteer?.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
If you're thinking of steering, I would double check to make sure the Insight is compatible with Ag Leader's newer receivers. The Insight will still control all the application functions you will ever need. However, the Insight is from back when Trimble was doing the steering portion. I think the Integra and Versa came out as a result of the split. I believe a 262 receiver from Trimble is the last model that will work with an Insight, as far as coupling the two systems together for steering.
You have to be a little careful buying the older Trimble receivers off the net. After time, they begin to suffer from "tin whiskers" and malfunction. You can find some pretty sweet deals on 252's, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page