Michelin Military Tires for Tractor Front Axle - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Thanks Dan and the others. Two questions Dan, do you run tubes in them or tubeless, and have you any dealings with the guy selling these there in Stony?

Good to hear about the 325 being better for the larger tractors. First set would be going on a 4620 which usually just has the dozer on it all winter and is my sprayer tractor as well. I need something with good sidewalls as it is also an emergency back up loader tractor as well, still has the mounts for a 125 Ezze-on bolted on, even though it hasn't seen that loader in many years. Call me paranoid or whatever you like, when it comes to looking after my cows I like to be prepared for anything, even something like loosing one or more other loader tractors in a fire. I had remembered those tires being advertised years ago as suitable replacements for the 16 inch normally on 2wd loader tractors and good to hear they do work well.

I would suspect they could be a bit of bugger to mount, as the ones I saw did have thick beads, but I would think with a bit of Murphy's slathered on and some patience, shouldn't be an issue. Tire equipment I have

As for some of those military/airplane tires being oddball sizes, think that pretty much was mostly with the actual British wheels, I have several wagons and such from the war and have many of those two piece bolted rims, and yes they take weird dimension tires. They certainly last a long time, most of them are 20 ply, but not many holding air anymore. FYI an easy way to replace those, it take half the bolted rim, and weld it inside a 20 inch Dayton, just need to shim them a bit around the edges to center them, and lay down several beads around the edge, have never had an issue with any of them I have done. Make sure you weld the rim positioned for proper gauge, so when you bolt it to the hub, the wheel is running where you want it to.

And as for the six bolt hubs on a 4430, I know mine had them, think it was something the later ones had the 8 bolt. And for keeping the bolts tight, only time I ever had an issue was years ago, run 10-20 military tires on the front of that same 4620, stole the wheels off the Jiffy hydump one spring. Thought the larger tires might make a big difference....actually didn't really seem too a lot. Though they would keep turning better than the smaller ones when climbing bedding packs ect. But you had to herd it down the road and it sat uphill on the front so much it looked silly, never put them on again

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
I got mine from dollar tire in winterburn. Back when they were in business. They're not any worse than a 11.00-16 to mount because they have a really flexible sidewall. They are michelins after all. I'm running them tubeless but I put a good shot of leak sealant in them. I do with all my tubeless tires. Even some tube type it allows me to go tubeless. Had real good luck with this stuff.

PSF® and PSF Plus® « Fuller Bros.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Thanks again Dan, appreciate the info

Dollar Tire, now there is a name I had actually forgot about in recent years, sucks to hear they are gone. Would have been ten years ago at least I was last there I suppose. Like with everything, things change and time marches on.

I'll post back when I get the chance to go pick some of these up and see how it all goes.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
http://www.texasrefinery.com/images/ca-Tireseal%20Stops%20Downtime%20In%20Its%20Tracks.pdf

Texas Refinery out of Moose Jaw sells a good tire sealant. I have used it a fair bit. You can put it in the valve stem with a suction gun, or use their pump.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
or its possible to change the spindle over to the larger 8 bolt.
I converted my 4430 to the 8 bolt about 5 yrs ago. A bit of an investment as you obviously have to change everything at the same time (spindle, hub, and rim) I haven't broke a rim, stud, spindle, though since I did it, definitely recommended if the tractor is doing much loader work.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
I've never asked at parts in JD if the 4440 spindle would fit in the 4430 axle assembly but this answers that question. I would imagine the cost of those spindles is boarding on insane though. We just don't use the loader extensively enough that it really warrants changing it all over.

I don't know why I had never though of this before and that isn't to say it would even work but I could have tried taking my old hub with ruined threads and installed press in wheel studs from the back side. Mind you its not a flat machined surface on the backside so that could present a problem but installing grade 8 hardware could have helped with my possible bolt stretching situation. 9/16 grade 5 bolts seem marginal and I wonder if its possible to find grade 8 bolts in the same style.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Military tires

The guys that owned and ran dollar tire are the same guys that are selling the tires out of Stony but the yard is actually close to where dollar tire used to be in Winterburn. Father & son deal. Last fall I bought a few of the 325/85r16's for my bale processor because I was sick of buying new tires for it ever couple months. I run the 11 x 16 on my old ford farm truck that have been retreaded to a commercial winter deep tread and they will probably out last the truck. I also run the 9 x 16 XZL on my 04 dually and get good mileage out of the retreads on the rear but sometimes a challenge to balance.

FWIW Mark
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
A lot of truckers use antifreeze or golf balls to balance tires. In the States they have baggie of sand or liquid they put in tires when mounting. As well a combine cylinder with filler plates will hold golf balls
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
I've never asked at parts in JD if the 4440 spindle would fit in the 4430 axle assembly but this answers that question. I would imagine the cost of those spindles is boarding on insane though. We just don't use the loader extensively enough that it really warrants changing it all over.

I don't know why I had never though of this before and that isn't to say it would even work but I could have tried taking my old hub with ruined threads and installed press in wheel studs from the back side. Mind you its not a flat machined surface on the backside so that could present a problem but installing grade 8 hardware could have helped with my possible bolt stretching situation. 9/16 grade 5 bolts seem marginal and I wonder if its possible to find grade 8 bolts in the same style.

Installing helicoils in the poor thread holes is a good option. In most cases the stainless steel insert can stand more force than a fine thread in cast iron. The kits are fairly economical if you are doing more than one hole.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Haystack, I certainly entertained the idea at the time of installing Helicoils had it not been for damage beyond just the threads. I had a piece of the cast flange fail even though the wheel never parted company with the tractor thankfully, I just caught it in time !. So in that case it was a no brainer, on went a new hub with new bearings. Now I could take the existing hubs and drill them out and install Helicoils but I can't quite push myself to take a perfectly good hub and start drilling them out. I also wish they made an insert that was long enough so that two heli's in each hole were not required. But if that was done, your very right that it would be stronger then it is now. I still would want grade 8 wheel bolts and perhaps someone on here has an answer on a supplier that has better grade bolts with the same degree of taper head.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page