Should some value of dropped straw be paid to renter? - The Combine Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Should some value of dropped straw be paid to renter?

It's been a very tough year for ranchers in our area. They only got 15-25% of normal on their hay cut. One of my landlords who I cropshare with is one of these people. The landlord isn't paying any expenses. He is extremely concerned about his feed supplies and rightfully so. We have some wheat to cut on his land and he is demanding I drop the straw so he can bale it. This land is very low in OM, nutrients, and generally gets a mediocre rating as up until a few years ago when I took it on there was very little in the way of inputs and a lot of straw had been removed over the years (hence the poor quality). Building this soil back up requires a lot of fertilizer on my end and a lot of good crops spanning many years. Now I don't like to see straw removed at the best of times, but even more so on land that needs all the nutrients and OM it can get. Just as I take one step forward with this dirt I'm being forced to take 2 steps back. I do however understand the dire situation my landlord is in so I will drop the straw for him.

My question is this: on a cropshare arrangement should the renter be entitled to a portion of the value of the dropped straw and if so how much? I believe that they should be as they not only paid for all the inputs to grow the crop, but going forward those are nutrients and OM that are being removed will limit future crops yield potential and thus will be dollars out of renters (and the Landlords) pocket down the line. I've calculated the value per bale in the form of macro nutrients removed to be around $9.50/800lb bale taken from the field. That doesn't include the very important value of OM and moisture retention capabilities the straw provides. I find so many ranchers see straw as free feed. It's not and never has been. Needless to say when I posed this very question to the landlord it did not go over well at all and was was actually extremely offended and angry I would ask such a question so this may not be an issue going forward anyways if they take back the land.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Standing wheat? Just let it stand till the end and go on it on a hot day. That rotor machine should take care of that straw and turn it into dust. Then drop the straw on the condition he has to bale it all or pay to heavy harrow. Should keep you happy about nutrients and om and he won't be wanting to bale behind your combine ever again. Been there and done that. Colin.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:55 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
I see where this is going!

At your calculations, how many $'s worth of nutrient per acre, forget OM and other benefits?
A bale/ac?

The reality problem is you push this too hard and you will no longer be the renter.

I do agree with your point but that and 3.15 will get you a bus ride in Calgary.

What a schemer crw is, you been hanging around my daughter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:03 AM
crw

If that sounds like I'm a dick, well it comes from dealing with a bigger one for years. But it's your straw, and I know you don't want to piss the landlord off. but it will set it up for years to come of free bales for him or not.
Windmillfarms likes this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crw View Post
If that sounds like I'm a dick, well it comes from dealing with a bigger one for years.
I wasn't suggesting dick status, like a lot of my daughters ideas I thought it was clever.

Don't tell Steph!
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:07 AM
crw

No Don, I have never met your daughter.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I really have no idea how many bales/ac their will be. I'm guessing 35-40bpa grain yield. I know my combines won't do a good job with straw but that doesn't matter to landlord and I honestly want to do a good job to help them. I can't purposly do a bad job and I do understand his plight. I just want it to be fair to both parties. I've spent more time and money on that land and have improved it greatly since taking it on (countless days picking rock, twine, branches, Leveling washouts, disced ridges, huge anount of chemical to control crazy weed problem, etc). This on top of landlord making 2-3X cash rent. I do all this for long term benefit of the land for both of us just giving the straw away feels like I'm being robbed. If I was dropping straw for someone else to bale I would be sure to give landlord their fair share. If I lose the land I lose the land. I'm not one of these guys who needs to farm as many acres as I can. If I don't feel both parties are being treated fairly and it doesn't make my life better than what's the point?
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
If its crop share why can't he bale the straw. He gets his share of straw for free and pays you for the rest of the share. Just come to an agreement that the straw can only be removed from this land every or years.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crw View Post
No Don, I have never met your daughter.
She's the cheque writer/receptionist at Trochu Viterrorist.
Might someday!

For her, there's
Horses
Work
Stuff
Stuff
Stuff

Me
You

Not really.
Sorta.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
I know people that have out special clauses in a rent agreement just for this situation. I've seen it the other way where the tenant wants to bale straw and doesn't think it adds value to the land and the landlord wants to get paid for the straw.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page