Intercrop Wheat/Soybeans - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Flexicoil 5000 air-drill with the three tank combo.. The ground openers are the stealt Doubble shoot opener,, we placed chickpeas down where you would send uera and placed mustard out standard 3.5 splitter boot.. To get 10 inch separation we plugged every other hole on the primary runs, so we have 10 inch chickpea, then 10 inches over mustard, then ten inches over again chickpea,

SWFarmService likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
@bussard your going to get us pics right?

I find this extremely interesting became I bet you don't have to do squat for weed control

God Bless America
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Just to prove I didn't chicken out!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-05-20-15-56-04.jpg (475.1 KB, 293 views)
bussard, X80, adsinaus and 4 others like this.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thought I should add that so far I have sprayed it with 6 oz of Barrage HF and .08 oz of Treaty (Harmony)

The ground is just getting warm enough now for things like wild oats so just going to see what happens for now, thinking Axial XL will be my plan of attack if or when needed

God Bless America
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
its a bit complex, since landowner took crop insurance out, I have pictures and will show this fall once off

as for now its pretty decent with yellow starting to bolt and desi starting to flower, would think it next week desis will be completely covered up, added some urea early and just got done a shot of bravo fungicide on desis.. strips look fairly clean for weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
@bussard your going to get us pics right?

I find this extremely interesting became I bet you don't have to do squat for weed control
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Doing a little spraying today, it's looking like I have been hoping it would so far, everything needs a drink in a bad way but this is hanging on pretty good I feel, summer so far has been very very hot and dry so at this point I have not put any nitrogen down other than what came in the 10-34-00 so can't complain

Curious what your thoughts are on how it looks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-06-17-15-55-09.jpg (704.3 KB, 196 views)
Snipe, adsinaus, goodoo and 1 others like this.

God Bless America
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Looks fine, just not sure you are gaining anything in terms of production. That will be interesting to see in the fall.

Big assumption that you did do both crops solid seeded for checks?

Or maybe i'm completely wrong, are you doing this for another reason then just hopefully gaining more pounds of production/acre?
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Looks fine, just not sure you are gaining anything in terms of production. That will be interesting to see in the fall.

Big assumption that you did do both crops solid seeded for checks?

Or maybe i'm completely wrong, are you doing this for another reason then just hopefully gaining more pounds of production/acre?
Looking for a slightly higher production per acre and less inputs

So far vs solid seeded if it rains any time soon I may actually be money ahead with the wheat in the beans

The solid seeded wheat seems to be suffering and is being pushed by 2 things, number one being heat, we have had several days above 95F with lots of wind to boot, currently this field only has had 2.1" of rainfall recorded since the day I started planting here on April 9th. The second thing is the solid seeded wheat received more nitrogen up front since NH3 is on the air seeder and that also seems to be pushing it along with the heat as it is already heading, some even flowering and has that pale color to it already

Here is what is really interesting, the wheat/beans have basically no disease stress as the headlands do and weed pressure is very very minimal in the wheat/beans vs solid seeded

Now I was hoping for less disease pressure but would have originally guessed that it would be a reversal, right now I am just giving it a touch up with harmony and puma and I will be more than good until pre harvest burndown, this is the first wild oats application, none prior

I did not solid seed beans in the same field but have some near by on sunflower ground so we can use that as a close enough basis

For a more normal year I wanted the wheat to help the beans keep moisture down early on but it's an interesting thing to watch as it seems to me both plants are functioning in very different ways than would be if seperate and I believe for the better, like I say if it would rain there is still hope for this crop, much too late for most wheat in the area, looking like a 30 bu crop in this area
adsinaus and BrianTee like this.

God Bless America
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Well if I could send some rain your way I would, town south east of here got at least 7 inches of rain today, we got 2 for sure, maybe more... Was planning on underseeding winter rye, turnips, and radish into some corn the cows get after it is picked in the fall, no idea how that is going to work out now.
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfarmer85 View Post
Well if I could send some rain your way I would, town south east of here got at least 7 inches of rain today, we got 2 for sure, maybe more... Was planning on underseeding winter rye, turnips, and radish into some corn the cows get after it is picked in the fall, no idea how that is going to work out now.
That would be great, north of us about 30 miles in Gladstone they got hit very hard last night, my truck driver had a tree on his house this morning. A friend of his a rather large farmer thought he lost a 1000 acres to hail, and at noon he had 4000 zeroed out and he was still counting, my old man was on his way back from Buffalo MN today and he said the crops and grass was so destroyed between Beulah and Glen Ulin was so bad a lawn mower couldn't have done anymore damage.

My town is very small and the rain was so spotty that there was .3" difference from one side of town to the other and just a sprinkle on the outskirts of town, most we got on any farm ground was .15". In 2014 I had fields that received 40" of rain and last year we had 32" on some up until the beginning of July when the rain shut off and has not come back yet. Quite a rapid change in weather for sure and given the commodity prices right now the only people making money are the people prescribing depression pills

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page