Pull type harvestors - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Question Pull type harvestors

With skyrocketing combine prices its a wonder no one has tried to reinvent the past and develop a high capacity pull type combine thats how i cut my teeth all those years ago, no cab no monitors no radio hey life wasnt so bad back then.

ps i live in the real world and nobody build one but just passing thoughts on probably would be at least half the cost one would think.

cheers all 13mm in mid mallee south australia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Worked for a neighbor for a while (2003ish) and he used a Case 1482 behind a jd 7810 and a jd 8820. the 1482 couldn't go as fast as the 8820, also no reverse on it either when you got plugged. Had to quit earlier in the night from dew as well...but it cost way way way less to opperate as well. dont remember what he said it cost the 8820 to run for the year but the 1842 was only a few grand....you lose well over that in depreciation in newer combines. i only hobby farm 360 acres between my father and I. We just hire the neighbors to come and do harvest...they run 3 brand new ones everyother year...nothing but the best for them. $35 acre last yr, field to the elevator. Tough to beat that doing it myself, for so few acres. straight combining would be rather limited on width of a header. Think id rather get a 9600..they are getting pritty cheap now and still cover tons a ground for a small guy like me.

chance2 likes this.

Last edited by morb1lee; 08-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
No other thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only 'new' pull type combine that I have seen in the last 10 years is the Mcleod Harvester, and that is a completely different system. We used to have the old 960 Coop's back in the day. Other than that, used PT combines are cheap as all heck, even 9501's which are one of the bigger PT combine you will find around. Once you have had the go anywhere ability of the SP combine, you will never go back.

Faster Horses...
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
With the cvt tractors out now, it would work pretty well I'd think.
Transaxial likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Decades ago the pull type was a good cheaper alternative for the family sized farm. There are almost none of these left anymore. Many farms are still run by families, but they cover alot of acres and need really high capacity in combines and trucks to get the grain in. Those on the smaller end get by buying used machines from that the bigger operators turn over. I'm afraid the future is even bigger operations that make today's average operation look small.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
imagine 600 hp tractor in front of a combine now you are getting something done!!

but with the size of heads how would a guy be able to offset the hitch and still be able to pull the thing straight?

would be a great thing for big wheat country where it could be swathed ahead of time then run a dummy head to pick it up.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 PM

My dad had a 6601 JD for 14 years. First combine I ever ran. I never ever want to go down that road again.

Remember the 7721 JD with the 21 foot offset straight head? It looked pretty cool. I think Deere made a 9501 for a short period of time.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
good point

Some years ago I had a JD 1051 with an open front. It worked OK for me and was cheap as $hit to buy and maintain. Pulled it with a White 2 150 but a few more ponies would have helped.

The fact is, moving to a SP combine is a natural progression. They have great mobility and capacity. But as old mate says, the cost is getting right up there. I suppose it comes down to preference as to whether you stay with the old girl or immitate the neighbours. At the end of the day, are you making money with a big new shiny beast??????????????
graham99 likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
clb

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Wow, my neck hurts just thinking of a pull type combine. I was just a kid so I never had the chance to operate one but when my Dad first started farming on his own he had a 6601. That was his biggest complaint about the pull-type.....a sore neck from looking back all the time.

There is a local Mennonite fellow in the area that is fixing up old JD pull-types. I heard that he's planning to pull them down to Mexico and re-sell them.

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page